Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are our handle bars 7/8" ? questions on mounting for cafe seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are our handle bars 7/8" ? questions on mounting for cafe seats?

Quick question-I just am curious what size our handle bars are. 7/8" is standard...

Also I've seen some cafe seats installed that appear to have just been bolted to the rear frame. Is that the preffered method? Has anyone come up with a good way to retain the stock tilt up seat? Also I see some examples of pads with a simple cover snapped over.
    Is there a cafe seat thread dump where all this info is located that I havent found?

secondary question. I'm looking at caferace.com and air-tech.com for seats. anyone have any praise or warning for either vendor?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yes the standard size for the GS range iof bikes is 7/8".

Comment

Hi,

Yes, these bikes use 7/8" bars stock. If you want to use the hinges that are already on the frame, keep the stock seat pan and just cut it or modify it for a cafe seat. That will keep the tilt-up functionality.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

ahh... makes sense. thanks bass cliff. I have a corbin so I'll have to source a stock seat to fiddle with and cut. I may want to take a long criuse on the big comfy couch seat. I had some superbike aluminum bars somewhere. Now I just have to find them in the garage.

Comment

This seat is on a stock XS400 pan, with even the original foam...completely new cover, though,

Comment

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
              This seat is on a stock XS400 pan, with even the original foam...completely new cover, though,

Looks nice, Runningdog. Did you shape the foam your self? Have it covered, or buy a pre-made cover?

Comment

I didn't do any of the work on the seat....I got a local uphostlery wizard to do the whole thing....he does hot rod interiors, snowmobile custom seats, HD custom seats...he also belongs to the Brititish Columbia Classic Motorcycle Club http://www.bcclassicmotorcycleclub.com/ , as do a couple other GSR members.

Comment

Cool. Do you have a picture from further back.

Comment

Working...
                  X