Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar swap minor issues

Evening all

I'm not sure if this is the right place or if it should be in the electrical section but here goes. I got my superbike bars yesterday and couldnt wait so tonight I have switched them out with my bent L bars. I came across an unexpected issue regarding the electrical switchgear. There is a tab inside the controls that I presume is there to prevent them rotating. Whats the conventional wisdom, do I drill my new bars or is it ok to bend the tab out of the way?

I also noticed that the sheathing on the control wiring has broken down due to age, sun and low temps to the point that touching it causes it to break like glass. Has anyone re wrapped or otherwise covered this wiring? Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Tom

You'll want to drill in there as that tab prevents the controls from sliding all over the place.

Can you slide some shrinkwrap over the wiring?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Cowboy, drilling it is then.

I dont know about heat shrink the connector block on the end is quite big I think. I Dont know how easy it is to seperate the wires from the connector block. Would heat shrink allow the wires to make all the tight turns around the headstock area. I thought the sheathing was loose for that reason.

Thanks

Tom

Comment

Vintage Connections has new sleeving if you just want to replace it.

You would probably have to extract the pins from the plugs to get it on..

They also have a pin extraction tool for $15..

Easteren Beaver also sells a set of pin tools for $40..
        Nice tools but double the cost
        Automotive electrical tools from Eastern Beaver including crimpers, strippers and cutters.

Heck a small jewelers flat head screwdriver should do the trick..
        Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Excellant links many thanks.

I have changed my L mini apes to superbike bars so I could do with shortening the connections from the controls anyway so I will cut the connectors out and either go with single spade connectors or possibly weather pak connectors and resheath them at the same time.

Thanks again
          Tom

Comment

just cut the tabs off from the switches, you dont need them, replace the standard screws with allen bolts and do them up tight. they wont move
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
            X