Change GS550 Rear Swingarm for the GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change GS550 Rear Swingarm for the GS750

I'm not sure where to post this, but I am thinking about removing the rear swingarm from my '79 GS550 and replacing it with the rear swingarm off a '78 GS750. Any idea if this would work. I haven't taken any measurements or anything yet, so this si just a thought at the moment.

My reasoning for this is because the GS550 has a drum brake in the rear and the GS750 has the rear disk. I have the rear spoke wheel from the GS750 too, si I really have everything I need to make it work (IF the widths are the same).

Any thoughts?

Oh, and While I'm at it, Would the GS750 front fork make any difference in performance on the GS550, or are they pretty much the same?

-Gumbo

I don,t know the GS 550 that much, but I "rebuild" a GS750 from leftovers... and the front fork was from a GS 550

Comment

Originally posted by TJBergli View Post
      I don,t know the GS 550 that much, but I "rebuild" a GS750 from leftovers... and the front fork was from a GS 550
      Cool! That is good to know. If A=B and B=C then A must =C, right?

That is encouraging!

Comment

The swingarm pivot bolt and bearings are the same part number for the 78 750 and the 79 550. Should be an easy swap. Don't know if it will yield any performance upgrade as they're relatively the same. The rear wheel is the same as well.

As far as forks are concerned, best bang for your buck is to replace the springs with Progressive springs. I put Progressives in my 77 750 forks and it was a huge difference for the better.

Comment

Kind of confused on having drum brakes for rear brakes on the GS550 both of mine had rear disc brakes. They are both L models though might be different for E models.

Comment

My 550s (3) have all had drum brakes.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My 79 550L has rear disc...

Comment

The 'L's all had rear disks because of how much better they are...

Comment

Working...
                X