not your typical clear coat question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not your typical clear coat question???

I want to know if anyone can reccomend a clear sprayable enamel? Something like Rustoleum clear in a quart can. I can't find it anywhere around in hardware stores here, (Kansas city).

I do not care if the paint is gas proof.

I bought a 250cc Chinese scooter that has sunfaded, red, bodywork and I'm trying to do this paint job with a gun and compressor. I just picked up the gun at harbor freight and it seems to work like a champ.

Base coat is rustoleum gloss black emamel. I'm going to shoot a mid clear of Duplicolor metallic clear and I was originally going to rattle can the final clear with a hardware store brand. I am in the process of doing some test panels and after seeing how nice the base black coat layed down with the gun, I'm kind of disapointed with the not so smooth rattle can clear.

I know the duplicolor paint shop series has regular clear laquer like the mid metallic, but I want something with a higher build (thicker) I think???

I have everything in black right now and have tested the laquer metallic clear for compatablity and no problems.

please enlighten me on a single stage clear if you would.

Jim

Ps. for those not versed in China's finest, here is what I purchased for the princely sum of $100.00. with title. Aparently, valve adjustments and carb cleaning are really hard to do on single cylinder motors with one carb and screw type valve adjusters.

GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Dupli-Color

Dupli-Color has their Premium Enamel line with a clear coat, in rattle cans.

Why not buy their Paint Shop Lacquer clear coat if you want to use a spray gun? Look through their site for info about how thick it'll build up.
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I haven't heard anything real positive about the paintshop series. Everything I read said that laquer has to be cut and buffed to look like anything after it has been sprayed. Any truth to this???
      GS Score Card
      4-400 Series GS's
      3-500 Series
      1-600 Series
      1-700 Series
      4-800 Series
      1-1000 Series
      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
      sigpic

Comment

Yes it does.If you take your time and wet sand between coats it can turn out very nice indeed.Lots of work mind you,probably not something you want to do for a $100 scooter.

Comment

This isn't exactly what you are doing but it sounds similar. I painted the tank on my GS850 last winter using Tremclad grey primer with Duplicolor metalic blue on top followed by many coats of Tremclad clear. I waited about a month and wet sanded the clear then polished it. It looked real nice but it chips very easily. The duplicolor does not seem to stick to the Tremclad primer.

I am thinking of redoing it but I will use primer, paint and clear from the same system...probably duplicolor.

Brian

Comment

just a thought

Hey mate,
            I have found that you can get the best shop type finish (with a spray gun) if you put on 4 coats with around 10 minutes between each coat at the recommended mixture thickness then you thin the clear laqcquer by about 70/80% for the last 2-3 coats (this means that you will be spraying on nearly neat thinners for these)so watch what you are doing, this has worked well for me as a pro painter for the last 19 years.Johnny

Comment

Jim,

You might try the Autopaint Store in Downtown Overland Park. I'm not sure what they would carry, but they are good people and might be able to point you in the right direction.

I am considering clear coating over black satin case paint to add a bit more sheen and durrability for future cleanings. I'm going to try and stop in over there and see what they have or can recommend.

Also, check out my rebuild thread...

Getting the ES back together
              Last edited by niclpnut; 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM.
              83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
              X