Tanks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tanks??

I know these questions are asked over and over but...
    would a mid 70's GT350-750 tank fit on an 82 GS450L?

I understand some modifying might be in order, I am not too worried about moving the mounting bolt(or adding one) but I do worry about the tank holder mounting near the front.

Thanks for your time!

Can't say I have heard of anyone trying it.

Never heard of a GT350, though.

Plenty of GT380s running around, though.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tanks

I have serious doubts on the fitment of GT tanks to GS bikes. The rear mounting of the GT tanks involve a rubber strap with a cushion on the frame, versus a bolt and grommet. Secondly, there is a distinct difference in the frame backbones.

Comment

Yeah, I have seen a few GT's and they are quite different. You want to know a much easier swap? Get a GS450E or a GS400 gas tank. All you gotta do is a little bit of cutting and welding and it will be a perfect fit!

Comment

I would love to find any reasonable gs450e tank, truly beautiful! But it seems to be very difficult.
          I just have been looking around on ebay and noticed the GT380 tank and thought it might look interesting.

Thanks for you help!

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenPlanks View Post
            I would love to find any reasonable gs450e tank, truly beautiful! But it seems to be very difficult.
            I just have been looking around on ebay and noticed the GT380 tank and thought it might look interesting.

Thanks for you help!
            I take it that you're building a cafe bike.

I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend but here's a GSX250 gas tank. EXACTLY the same as a GS450E/GS450S gas tank.

But like I said, you can also get a 1977-1979 GS400 gas tank. It's much cheaper than a GS450E tank and it looks pretty nice!

Here's a GS400 tank on ebay. The GS425 also uses the same tank.

If you can sand and paint, this is for you. It has everything and there is no rust inside!

EDIT: There's a dent on the right side of the tank.

So you're planning to cafe an '82 GS450L? Take a look at my build . It doesn't get interesting until about page 55 though .

Good luck!
            Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X