Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how are these new?

it is #9 in this picture

are they rubber or are they a plastic piece? Ive got one busted one and they all feel like hardened plastic, or like how the old o-rings feel...

I just want my bike to be done right and not half-assed.

they are rubber i believe ---they just turn hard when old--probably could just get a grommet from hardware store that is the right size

Comment

yup, rubber grommet

Comment

alright... mine are almost plastic in feel... I just didnt want to get something then not be able to replace it. you say any rubber grommet would work... well if its the right size at least?

Comment

best to get the oem ones so you're safe in the knowledge your covers aren't gonna fall off at an inopportune moment imo. mine were only a few £ each from suzuki if i recall

Comment

These grommets are used in a number of places on a number of bikes. For the shipping you should probably get a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...ht_1561wt_1166

These grommets are used in a number of places on a number of bikes. For the shipping you should probably get a few.
              If you look, that's even the correct part number that is given in the first link.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If you look, that's even the correct part number that is given in the first link.

I don't just post willy nilly! I do my research!

Comment

Hi,

I just ordered new rubber parts to hold my side covers. They are much better than the 30 year old hard rubber parts. No more rattling!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

To prevent breaking a cover I like to put a little grease or vasoline so ya dont have to use so much pressure to put the covers on and off.
                    BUy new OEM, ya wont regret it.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Have to be extra careful when buying cushions, even OEM. I bought some for my '82GS1100EZ, there was a revised part number, no big deal, I got them and they were smaller than the originals, I did break a tab with one of the new ones, I kept the old ones and am gorilla glueing the torn edges back together in hopes I can re-use them. After that I'll concentrate on fixing that broken tab.
                      I use grease, oil, anything I can thats slippery, vaseline works well. I really take my time removing those covers, and still I broke one.
                      Can't understand why Suzuki didn't use something like on the GS1000e, two holes
                      on the cover that the frame fits in and one screw to secure the cover. Simple yet durable.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Are the parts on the pages like the one I posted Suzuki equipment? Or at least OEM?

I dont really think this is repairable, and even if I did, I dont think I would trust it for very long....

BassCliff: your bike is beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
                          Are the parts on the pages like the one I posted Suzuki equipment? Or at least OEM?
                          Yes, that looks like Suzuki original equipment. I got mine from partshark.com for $1.73 each. It's the same part on my bike (part# 09320-08018).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Alright. Partshark was where I was looking, but their link would just go to the top page so I used Chaparral's.

Thank you very much for your answers everybody.

Comment

Working...
                            X