Darin's 1980 GS850G - New Paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darin's 1980 GS850G - New Paint!

As I'm working my way though getting this bike back into shape and maybe hopped up a bit, I had the opportunity to have a custom painter work over the painted bits. I stripped the fender and tank down to bare metal, and wet sanded all the plastic pieces, then let them have at it.

My original idea was to use '76 GM Corporate Yellow, which was the color originally on my '76 Trans-Am. Love that color!

However, I kind of gave them free reign. It's a "little" different, but REALLY pops in natural light! These pics were taken in the garage under flourescent lighting, so they don't really do the paint-job justice. I'll try to get some nicer pics when I get this outside.

Will post better pics once I get things more together...

Another shot of the tank, outside. Hazy day though... need some bright sun!

Comment

Fender......

Comment

I like it. Can't wait to see the whole unit put together in the sunlight. Be sure to also shoot some pics on an overcast day as well.
        Looking good.....
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I like it better than just plain yellow. Classier looking. Nice!
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Looks good. If you post your photos in photobucket or something similar (photohosting site), you can put up to ten photos in one post and they don't have to be thumbnails. Just an idea.

Comment

WOW!!! The gold and silver look prety good together. Might have given me a new idea for my 650 or 850 paint scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                WOW!!! The gold and silver look prety good together. Might have given me a new idea for my 650 or 850 paint scheme.
                Thanks... I'm thinking that maybe there needs to be a pinstripe or ??? along the boundry of the Yellow... ( it's actually a Candy Yellow with 5 coats of metal-flake infused clearcoat, with another couple of clear coats over that... )

We'll see what she looks like when I have it all together. Pinstriping is something I do myself pretty well for something like this, so I would just add it if needed...

Comment

When I was looking at the picture of the tank, my first thought was that a pin strip at the color division would be good. Looks great.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice colors. Different, but very nice.

That's also following the pattern we plan to use when painting my son's bike.

Is that lighter color a silver or maybe a pearl white?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The colors are a candied yellow and silver. They are topped with 5-coats of clear infused with silver metal flake, then a couple coats of clear gloss. Really POPS in the sunlight. The garage lights don't do it justice!

Here are the parts, minus the front fender, set in place. I think it's going to look really nice!

Comment

Another angle...

Comment

Looks really good, but I think some kind of striping to seperate the two colors on the tank at least, would really set it off better. Maybe a black pin stripe.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Took her for a ride for the first time today! Now time to tweak and tune, and recover the seat!!

Also, would love to find a factory style rear grab-bar for the seat, if anyone has an extra one laying around. I have an aluminum one, but it doesn't seem to fit, and I think it may be from an "L"... Got it off of e-bay before I really knew the difference.

Comment

That is just super nice
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                              X