GS650 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Project

I purchased my first bike, a low mileage, 81GS650 back in November and it kind of opened a whole new world to me. Thanks to this forum Ive learned how to do things i never could've done on my own, like adjusting valves, rebuilding carbs, tuning, and heck i even used the write up to paint the bike.
    When i bought the bike it didn't run that great, had trouble starting when cold, high idle, and the list goes on. Since i got it at the end of the riding season basically, i had the whole winter to make some changes to it. After making all the mechanical adjustments it needed, i started to change the looks of it.
    I really enjoy the styling of cafe bikes. And although a gs650 shaft drive is not the choice bike by most to go that route on, i figured what the heck, it was a cheap bike and i might as well take a crack at it and learn along the way. It still has a long way to go to get it to look like i want but, here are some pictures of the changes that Ive made so far.

Picture in the ad i first saw:

Accessories abound:

Accessories gone(and available still if anyones interested):

Started painting it (i know the bike looks pretty decent in the original pics, but it had dents in the tank, paint was rough too):

Reluctantly hammered some knee dents (dexter my german shepherd making an appearance):

Put some new bars on and tinted the light(bars not fastened yet in this):

Here's the latest pic of it (very storm trooper esque now that its assembled ):

Next I'm planning on putting some black tank grips in the knee dents similar to this, shortening the frame, and possibly a similar seat as well:

Still much to do as you can see, but a little at a time. I'm hoping to pull the engine and paint it and re-coat the frame black at some point. Maybe a job for next winter since its finally warm enough to ride in TN.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2011, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Very cool! I'm gonna watch this one. I really like those mirrors you got. Where did you get them?

Comment

Thanks much! The mirrors actually came on the bike and im not sure if they are stock or not. I think i may get some bar end circle mirrors though, so if you like them i could send them your way!

Comment

Whoops!

I thought I saw these mirrors. Page 14. Post #140.
          Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

But in one of the pics it was actually your brake lever against the car's mirror. LOL!

Comment

lol I see it now. Totally looks like its on the bike at first glance. Sorry i cant sell you my truck mirror either : /

Comment

Lookin good so far. And that bike just looks so damn good in white (check out my 82 build in Project thread).

Comment

Looks pretty nice so far.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks guys! Project is looking good bill. I believe i placed this in the wrong section, maybe it should be in projects.

Comment

Did you paint it with spray cans?

Nice job, BTW
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not so sure about the white grips (I think they will start looking nasty rather quickly), but I really do like the plain white bike.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey thanks guys. For the painting i used some rustoleum acrylic from auto zone, matched with some rustoleum clear. I had rattled a car before that turned out good so i had a little experience with the method, plus this tutorial is great http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm
                        And ya i am wondering how the grips will hold up too. I think it kinda sets the bike off though, so if i have to rub some alcohol over them every week or so i wont mind so much.
                        Thanks again!

Comment

could you explain how you dented the tank a little more?

Comment

Sure thing. The only reason i got the nerve to do it was because of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-1adqRyVU
                            I basically just followed what he did. Cut out a design out of heavy stock paper, then measured and traced it to each side of the tank. I didnt have a nylon hammer like he did, so i improvised and took a standard hammer, folder a paper towel into a square and duct taped it on the head of the hammer. hah a pretty ridiculous tool, but it worked and wasn't so blunt like the bare hammer would've been.
                            Basically just started in the center of the area and worked my way out. Its really not as hard or scary as it sounds either. I've never done anything like that and managed to do a pretty good job of it.
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

And on a side note. I left for work today not knowing that there were bad storms coming. I had changed the oil on my bike today and had it on its center stand and for some reason i put the kick stand down in addition to it being on the center. Coming down my road i see a downed tree across the entire road with a single lane cleared for traffic, im like ok great whats my house like. I pulled in and saw this and my heart sank:

I initially thought it was on my mustang. I honestly cant believe the kick stand stopped it either. It was barely holding it.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X