No announcement yet.

GS650 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next stop should be the the lottery booth. Luck is on your side.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

very cool project there!! Love the 650's. Keep it up and keep the pics of the work coming too.

Bri

Comment

Not a bad idea!

And

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
        very cool project there!! Love the 650's. Keep it up and keep the pics of the work coming too.

Bri
        Thanks! Your 650 is slick! I really want to paint my engine at some point, and yours looks great. Ill have to get some pointers when the time comes.

Comment

BTW, for your pods did you go K&N and dynojet?

Comment

Thanks!! it was a fun project me...a little stressful at times but all in all I enjoyed building it. The motor isnt painted but is powdercoated, but I have painted motors before and they look good too. When you get ready for that just let me know and i will give you some advice on prep work and whatnot.

Comment

VERY lucky indeed. I can tell its an early 60s stang but not sure of the exact year. 65?

Comment

Originally posted by Pureformance View Post
                Thanks much! The mirrors actually came on the bike and im not sure if they are stock or not. I think i may get some bar end circle mirrors though, so if you like them i could send them your way!
                If you're going the circle bar-end route, check out the short write-up I posted here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171250

Your bike is looking good, I am thinking of going with a white paint job myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
                  Thanks!! it was a fun project me...a little stressful at times but all in all I enjoyed building it. The motor isnt painted but is powdercoated, but I have painted motors before and they look good too. When you get ready for that just let me know and i will give you some advice on prep work and whatnot.
                  Ok thats why it looks so nice! Not sure if ill want to spend the money for coating, but it does look amazing. And how about the pods?

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                  VERY lucky indeed. I can tell its an early 60s stang but not sure of the exact year. 65?
                  You are close! Its a 66. I think i will put some plywood down to park on from now on as a little added stability as opposed to the gravel.

Originally posted by afholderman View Post
                  If you're going the circle bar-end route, check out the short write-up I posted here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171250

Your bike is looking good, I am thinking of going with a white paint job myself.
                  Hey awesome thread, i was debating on the ebay bar ends, wasnt sure if they were decent quality. Im sold! And thanks man, i was wondering if i would like the white scheme at 1st, but im really liking the way its turned out so far. I say go for it!

Comment

One question about the bar end mirrors. On my bike the throttle is basically like a plastic sleeve that slides onto the handlebar, is that the same style your bike has? And would i just cut the end of the plastic sleeve off to make room to install the mirror hardware?

Heres a link to the plastic sleeve im talking about.

Comment

It either goes inside the metal bar or you move that assembly along a bit (inwards) to make room.
                      No need to cut it.

I think you should put a black S on your tank in a similar location to where that Honda has the badge as well... would just finish it off nicely.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        It either goes inside the metal bar or you move that assembly along a bit (inwards) to make room.
                        No need to cut it.

I think you should put a black S on your tank in a similar location to where that Honda has the badge as well... would just finish it off nicely.

I think he's talking about cutting the end off the throttle tube to accommodate the bar ends.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I know what he's talking about... you don't need to cut anything.

Just move the whole assembly inboard if you use bar ends that clamp to the bar.

Most of them use an internal clamp that slide up the inside of the metal bar itself.....
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            No need to cut it.

You're right, that S would look sweet. I may just end up doin that!
                            And as far as the throttle tube, it is enclosed at the end so it literally cant slide in any further. : / Im not 100% sure on the process of installation for bar ends, so maybe im not understanding right.

Comment

I must be missing something here..

Most factory type throttle tubes I have ever seen have closed ends.
                              The end of that tuebe will have to be removed to put anything into or on the end of the bar.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Most throttle tubes that I have seen are open ended..... Guess we've looked at different bikes.

No big deal to cut the end out of it & move it along. Don't cut it shorter as then the grip won't fit properly (and if the grip is closed on the end then cut the end out of that as well).

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X