Great paint debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great paint debate

Okay so had a Rockstar of a GSR member come through for me again, as far as my paint scheme. He has updated it now I am in a quandary on what do do. Judge for yourself.

I am also thinking of maybe going with the black rims, and painting the outside edge of the rims with a stripe of green. I would use a brush on paint just not sure how well it would adhere to the powdercoat.

Let me know your opinions.

Paul

Please don't paint the rims green. Looks too much like a military bike that way. Not that a military vehicle is bad, but I just don't think it's a great look...personally.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Hi,

I don't like the green rims either. The black rims are just OK.

I think it would look cool if the rims were all polished aluminum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Green=bad luck
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Leprechauns.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A bit off topic but did you use Photoshop or something else to mock up the colors?

Comment

Leave the rims black for sure.

If you want a green trim on the rims, just use some thin rim tape. That way, if you don't like it, you can just peel it off...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

I don't like the green rims either. The black rims are just OK.

I think it would look cool if the rims were all polished aluminum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                The green or black wheels don't seem to go with the L model at all. In fact, color matched rims just don't belong on a bike IMO.

+1 for Cliff's suggestion.

If polishing is over the top, you may want to try a metallic aluminum wheel paint.

Comment

This is what I did with mine... I haven't actually polished the alloy yet, it's just still clean in the pic's from paint prep:

The bike's much more complete now (actually has an engine and stuff) but I don't have a good side on shot yet.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Leave the rims black for sure.

If you want a green trim on the rims, just use some thin rim tape. That way, if you don't like it, you can just peel it off...
                    Exactly as Pete said. I would just use rim tape instead of painting it. Much easier.

Here's what I did to my rims.

IMO, do not paint the rims all green. I would say either all black or polished. And if you do decide you want green outlines on your rim, buy the tape from this guy.

You can ask for any size and thickness. I chose 19" front and 16" rear. Both are 3mm (1/8") thick. And of course in red.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your opinions.
                      FC-
                      I did not know about the wheel tape thing. That is pretty cool. I saw yours posted thought they looked cool but just figured you had painted them.

Well still not completely decided but I am to the point of all black or black with edge of rims polished or green wheel tape.

Comment

Working...
                      X