side cover fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side cover fabrication

ok i saw on basscliffs site a thing about making side covers anyone have any luck doing this?

and about the "fixing pin" i think that design is why some of us are replacing them.. why not a screw or bolt to lock things in place?

Hi,

The author of that guide obviously had good luck fabricating his own sidecover. You just need the necessary skill (or lots of practice), tools, and materials.

As for the "fixing pin", here's another tidbit from my website that you may find handy:

http://www.maxim-x.com/seca/sidecover/ - Repair the broken posts on your sidecovers.

There have been several threads here about riders who make their own fiberglass cafe seats, seat pans, and such. It's certainly do-able.

If you try it, please take lots of pictures for show and tell.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanx cliff

i think i saw that fix awhile back just forgot about it, and where to find it.

On some of my covers i have plane snapped them in half (by accident)
      Or snapped off the lower part and had the post and part of the cover still on the bike. They need to be replaced and was looking into cheaper methods than just buying new ones

thanks again ill keep poking about

Comment

things are looking good ill post pictures soon

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The side covers and their attaching "pins" are ABS plastic which is easy to repair with a "slurry" made of some ABS shavings or scrap pieces melted in acetone. The slurry acts like a glue but actual melts into the plastic of the whatever you are repairing and becomes molecularly connected with the repaired pieces making them again all one piece. When cured it can be shaped like any piece of ABS.

On the subject of forming new side covers or other pieces, ABS plastic is thermo formable meaning it can be formed into shape using heat. The original parts are made this way when a sheet of ABS is heated and then vacuum formed over a "buck".

I have made side covers in much the same way using a technique called "drape forming". You first make a buck to form over. This is usually formed in wood and is shaped to as closely as possible resemble the cover you are making. You would need to make one for each side if making two. Once the form is shaped and smoothed to your liking then you would apply your heated sheet of ABS and gently help it in to position with gloved hands and wooden shapers (like paint stir sticks). While warm and soft it will drape over the buck and take the shape. Once cooled you would make your attaching pins from more abs stock and slurry.

You can obtain ABS sheet from any company selling plastic products usually to industry. Your local automotive paint guys likely would have a line on such a company or you'll find listings in the yellow pages. Sheets are usually sold in thicknesses from 3mm and up and 4' x8' and coloured white or black. You likely only need a half sheet or less and they may even have cut offs.The thinner the material the easier to work so 3 mm would be the best.

The ABS is easy to work with and only needs to get to a little over 100 deg. to get soft. You can heat it in the oven but keep a close eye on it as it will melt buble and burn if left too long or gets too hot. You will need good gloves to handle it and not burn yourself. It does cool very quickly and will harden into any shape its left at so when working with it, I use an electric paint removal gun to keep it soft and pliable. Be gently with the shaping especially when using sticks to help form as they can dent the soft surface.

As Cliff mentions, projects of this type take a little bit of practice and some skill but are doable by most folks with a little preparation and patience.

I regret that I don't have any pics to share on this and i hope you can picture what I described. If you want any more info please p.m. me. Also have a look at Matchless' Windjammer project as he details the making and usage of the ABS slurry and how well it can connect pieces together.

Good luck.
          Cheers,
          Spyug
          Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM.

Comment

i just used what was most readily available to me. Fiberglass resin and mats are available everywhere and takes a little patience to use. that might be good to try later if i want a more OEM look. if i get ambitious i may keep that in mind if i want to try and make it a full dresser! the reason i made them is when i moved my side covers went missing so there was nothing to repair and i dident just wanna take the ones of the 1000 and tracking down ok used ones wasent easy lastly the new ones are expencive

Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I think they look great. How are they structurally? Do they seem to flex alot? I was just wondering how many layers of the mat you did.

Comment

Those turned out very well. Good job sir!

You are probably correct in that the materials for glassing are readily available and it is not too difficult a chore if you take the time to prepare a good buck. However, as I find glassing messy and somewhat fiddly, I try to do as much as I can with the ABS. To really do ABS well, you need a vacuum table to suck the warmed plastic over the buck. You can then create much finer definition in your parts. I have toyed with a vacuum table but haven't yet been able to find a vacuum pump at a decent price. Maybe someday.

Now lets see how they look with a bit of paint on them.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Working...
                X