Project: Rear sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Rear sets

So Ive been itching to get some rear sets lately so I jumped on ebay and scored a pair from a 91 GSXR1100 for $30 shipped. I started by making templates out of cardboard and then transferred them to 1/4" plywood. So far, this is what I have:

Now that I have the general idea down, im trying to figure out what to make the brackets out of. I have 1/4" aluminum plate as well as 1/4" steel plate already but open to better suggestions. The only area of support for the brackets are the 2 bolts at the bottom where the stock foot pegs bolted to the frame. I want to make them out of the aluminum but Im afraid it is going to bend or twist with my weight on it (~175lbs) or when Im cornering hard and have weight on the rear sets. Suggestions?

You'll find lots of good suggestions here, eventually , but check out the Do The Ton forum as well....there's several good rear-set threads there, plus at least one that goes sideways socially (families....can't live with them, can't bury them in the back-yard).

I'll be watching your thread myself, I still have to fit up some rear-sets for the little XS400.

Comment

Go with 3/8 alloy and you should have very little flex (if any).

They look neat, BTW
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
      X