No announcement yet.

Fuel penetrating under the tank paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the paint is from a PO and a few years old, I doubt you will get anywhere with the painter.

Also, you could sand that area down. Go about 1-2 inches larger then the affect area to ensure there is no loose paint and feather it. Prime it and then sand it and scuff the whole tank with 800-1000 grit and remove the decals. Then hit with white paint again and clear. IT might be easier and cheaper then sanding the whole tank down.

Comment

ukilme

OK. I didn't turn the tank upside down but I gave it a super-cross simulation + supermoto 70 degrees side tilts. Way beyond anything experienced under road conditions. Not a single drop.

Comment

there ya go!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I also found out why the problem started. The paint reached the inside of the tank and started melting. It feels soft like silicon. Fumes of gasoline then crawled under the paint.
          "The painter was neither a Leonardo da Vinci and Botticelli descendant..."
          Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

So he sprayed it without covering the hole..now the question is this.is there some overspray down inside the tank thats also sticky goo!! Man this just keeps getting better doesnt it!! Wonder if he covered the petcock hole and any others as well. Does that tank have a fuel sending init ?
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

How could any painter not cover the hole??? That would be kinda stupid. Maybe he used a plug so that the top of the hole got paint but not inside.

Comment

How about the little vent hole in the side of the filler collar?
                Did it get plugged? If that hole is blocked, fuel is coming out, no matter what condition your seals are in.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

And when was the tank coated like the PO told him...before or after it was painted? If it was before then theres a chance paint got in the tank and is that stcky gump. If it was coated after it was painted then it would be sealed in and do no harm at this point. Man, theres just a lot going on with this tank that isnt clear. Sure hope he gets it sorted out. Seems like good kid.

Comment

I tape off the filler necks, where the seal meets the top edge of neck.
                    Never have had a problem. It is possible that the person who painted it did not take the time to ensure that there was no rust pitting areound the neck (VERY common) and that all of this started as a result of oxidation (rust) under the primer/paint.

Comment

There is no paint inside the tank. The tank was painted 2mm beyond the top point squeezed by the rubber seal. So 2mm of paint was inhaling fumes from inside the tank. My sense tells me that paint is not suppose to reach the rubber seal, A fuel resistant coating yes but not paint.
                      I used a flash light and a dentist mirror to verify there's no goo inside the tank. I think I'm set now ready to turn it to a descent painter.
                      The PO just told me that the one he took the tank to was painting...Tractors :-)
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX750ES junky View Post
                        There is no paint inside the tank. The tank was painted 2mm beyond the top point squeezed by the rubber seal. So 2mm of paint was inhaling fumes from inside the tank. My sense tells me that paint is not suppose to reach the rubber seal, A fuel resistant coating yes but not paint.
                        I used a flash light and a dentist mirror to verify there's no goo inside the tank. I think I'm set now ready to turn it to a descent painter.
                        The PO just told me that the one he took the tank to was painting...Tractors :-)
                        Good to know that he at least plugged the hole. On the top of the rim, where the seal meets the tank, there is "usually" a slightly raised section of metal that is stamped into the filler neck. Paint should never be applied to the top / flat portion of the filler neck as has been made clear. I always spend a few minutes to sand the top to the filler neck with some 400 to ensure that nothing remains but clean metal, then treat it with a few drops of air tool oil, rubbed in with a finger.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                          r. I always spend a few minutes to sand the top to the filler neck with some 400 to ensure that nothing remains but clean metal, then treat it with a few drops of air tool oil, rubbed in with a finger.
                          Exactly what I just did...

Comment

Working...
                          X