Seeking aftermarket windscreen advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking aftermarket windscreen advice

When I purchased my 1978 GS750 about 4 years ago, it came with one of those universal aftermarket windscreens. I immediately removed it mostly because I prefer the esthetics of the bike without it, but also because it was one of those taller screens that you had to see through, rather than see over.

After taking some 2-3000 km trips every summer, I'm now thinking of getting some modest type of windscreen to help a little with the wind buffeting and wind noise. But I'd like to fit something as modest as possible that doesn't completely ruin the looks of the bike as it is.

Any suggestions out there for tried and true windscreen mods? The less obtrusive the better. I've had a look at some screens at Twisted Throttle but dont know what the minimum height might be to provide some wind protection.

Thanks in advance.

Cut your old one down to a reasonable height and put it back on during cold weather?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have an "Eagle Screen" on Zephyr 550, which I modified to fit my GS550, but the instrument cluster on the early GS's interferes with most aftermarket "flyscreens" and pushes them forward/upright .. which looks weird. What about one of those little Ducati ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Taflet View Post
        But I'd like to fit something as modest as possible that doesn't completely ruin the looks of the bike as it is.
        Keep in mind that "Beauty is in the mind of the beholder".

Some of us actually like the way a bike looks with a windshield and go to great lengths to add one.

There is only one registered bike in my stable that does not have either a full windshield or a frame-mounted fairing,
        and it will be getting one at the end of the summer.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Taflet,

Check out the deflector size windshields from National Cycle or Slipstreamer. I have the Slipstreamer Spitfire on my bike and it's "just enough". Click the thumbnail in my signature to have a look. Now let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

tkent02 - I thought of that too until I had a second look at it. Pitted and worn and slightly opaque (not in a good way). So I've scratched that option off the list. Thanks though!

OzJavelin - Interesting too as I had done a demo ride on a Ducati Monster last summer and noticed a slight improvement in wind affects with that small deflector. But I was also more hunched down on that bike so figured it wouldn't be sufficient for a more upright seating position as on my GS.

Steve - True enough. Guess I'm a bit of a purest when it comes to esthetics. But I may yet change my tune once I get a good functioning screen on my bike!

BassCliff - The bike does look good. Modest enough and effective too with the rake backwards on it. I'll check into those Slipstreamers. Thanks for the pointer. And thanks for the big welcome. I was actually a forum member last year but I guess I went MIA too long so my account was deleted. But I've already browsed a ton of stuff on your page yesterday. You are an extraordinary resource in this forum. Thanks!!

Comment

i have a memphis shades "classic deuce" i like it but the handlbars had to be pushed forward to meet the mounts so the screen would clear the gauges. its not to big and lets me see over it, but of course the trade off is i dont have as much protection as most.

Comment

If it helps, check out the old Shoei fairings. I have a FM2 that I am trying to put back together when I get some extra cash. I like the look of some of the bigger ones like the FM2 over ones like the FM7

Comment

Working...
                X