Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting the tank and sides

Everyone,

I have a basic, dumb question... I see all you guys and gals have WAY COOL paint jobs on your bikes... some stock, some not... I have to repaint the undented tank and my existing two-tone blue side panels.... the tank I picked up from another GSResource Dude (thanks, Justin!), but now I have two dillemmas:

[a] I am NOT made of money... (anymore). But I want a pretty bike!
    [2] I do not have access to or own any painting supplies although I can use a spray can really intelligently and get good results.
    [d] I have a hardware store just down the road with lots of spray cans.

Anyone know where I can find some spraycan metalflake paint that I might be able to use on my bike and make it not so...... cosmetically challenged? I used all my ready cash putting TIRES and Progressive shocks on the bike so it would be SAFE.

Any and all advice appreciated...

p.s. If you go to http://www.metalflakecorp.com and check out the paint samplers, you'll see some awesome paints... but, I don't want anything big and gaudy like a dune buggy would be.... very light, almost hard to see flake that makes it look more like mist than flakes....

Have you heard enough to think I'm smoking crack? :P

Check out my bike pictures if you like: http://showcase.netins.net/web/waynespage/bikes/

Thanks,

Wayne

p.s. Did you all figure out I evidently can't count and or remember the alphabet?

p.p.s. Anyone think I'm crazy for thinking of using some of the metalflake modeller's paints that TESTORS makes for plastic modelling, found at the hobby shops? I used to model as a kid, and that stuff can be AWESOME!

You can't be any more crazy than I am and what I wanna do to my bike. Imagine every removable part painted a different color (well, I'll be using 5-6 colors max). That's my goal this off-season.

Comment

This is a good article on painting a computer case.This is how I'm going to do it.Make sure that if you take all the paint off the tank,down to metal.You must use an etching primer.

After you read this then read this part about painting metal flake.

I'm going to paint my bike the same way he shows in his solid color article.It's alot of work but it looks like glass and i'm going to have a few month that I can't ride this winter anyway.

Comment

Most larger hardware stores or auto parts supply shops can mix paint and put it into a pressure pack for you nowadays. So just get them to mix the metalflake colour you want and put it into a can for you , it does cost a little more but is worth it.
        Try and stick to one brand and range of paints for the entire job as it will make it easier to get a better finish, and use an etch primer regardless as it helps to bond it all together and make the paint stick, you must use an etch primer if you go back to bare metal and or use and putty at all. Dont forget to clear coat over the top to protect the finish for longer.
        Dink

Comment

GREAT INFO

Thanks, guys.

I am really excited about what I might be able to accomplish... I am not sure if i [have] to go down to bare metal, but if everyone thinks that is best, then I can do it.

Dink, if you know of a particular company that can custom-aerosol paint for me, I'd love to hear any specific suggestions... I have Auto-Zone mostly, no PEP-BOYS places here in Iowa... I am pretty sure you aren't talking about the WALMARTS or LOWES or HOME DEPOTs of the world.... I would even order over the internet if someone could give me a recommendation.

I have not found anyone that has CLEARCOAT in cans either... But I'd love to find some of that to make sure I finish it off right. Maybe I should just go to a real paint dealer... hmmmm. Winter is coming, so I have time to look around.

Anyway, MANY Thanks for the help and encouragement... I think it will look AWESOME when I get it done, however I end up doing it...

(heres a little secret) I REALLY want to do it metalflake orange, but my wife is WAY AGAINST THAT, and says either a sky-blue, teal green or a 'candy apple red' of some sort... NO maroons or yellows or oranges... Sheesh!!! I'd mutiny, but i do want her to ride on it with me SOMEDAY... :?

http://showcase.netins.net/web/waynespage/waycoolbikes/ (I don't want to do all the groovy airbrushing art, just the color, but this one ROCKS!)

Oh, and painting EVERY SINGLE PART a different color??? OMG, I thought I was nuts, but now I know I have been BESTED!

Wayne

p.s. When I get this all done I'll put up some pics, you can be sure.

p.p.s. Oh, and this would be a fun exercise to do on my DENTED (present) tank, if it were not so expensive... But, might be money well spent if I do it myself as a test.

Comment

You'll have to go to an auto paint supplier to get the right type of paint in aerosol cans. They are the ones that will put the paint you want in aerosol cans. They will have the right primer and clearcoat so you end up with a durable paint job. If you just want cheap Dupli-Color can be found at most auto parts stores and is pretty decent stuff. Just a matter of whether or not you'll find the color you want.

BTW, tangerine metalflake has a little history on Suzukis. The late '60s two strokes were painted a pretty sharp tangerine.

Comment

try this

here is a great instructional link from this very site. I am thinking about giving it a shot myself.

Let us know if you try it and what the results were...Good luck

Comment

No paint advice for you, wharrah - but I wanted to compliment you on the nice little Yamaha...

-Q!

Comment

Wharrah I could mix it and put it in cans myself , however I think the airfare to Oz may be outside your budget so unfortunately I cant help you on where to get it in the US but I am sure someone will come to your aid soon enough.
                  Dink

Comment

paint and yamaha

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the encouragement on the paints... I happened to go into our local AUTOZONE parts store and found something I had read about on the internet when doing a Google on "metalflake paint"... Lots of sites for people wanting to charge more than I make in a year to paint my bike like a flame-engulfed harley... but, I also found a site at

https://<a href="http://www.plasti-k...ustomEffex</a>.

Seems they had the "chameleon" line of paints and I let my wife pick out the 'deep blue-that-turns-to-teal-green' mixure... they have several variants of the blue-to-green, blue-to-gold and green-to-gold varieties... they have a three-step process (prime, paint, clear) and so I just bought the set (we'll see how it goes)... and I'll try my hand at the bug-bombing this winter... At around $8 a can US, it was a bit pricier than the usual lawn-chair paints, but if it looks good, WAY LESS THAN PAYING to have it done by someone else.

I'll have to heat the garage, and I just received my POR-15 tank relining stuff.

So, wish me luck, and I'll post some pics to my site when I get it all done.

BTW, The little Yamaha is FOR SALE, and I'll sell it for significantly less than the $1 a CC rule if it goes to a good home. I love my bikes and HATE to see good-running machines become parts fodder for the chopping block just because someone doesn't love them anymore.

Honestly, I really hate to think about selling, but I love this GS so much, and with the realities of ownership, I see no monetary sense keeping it. (Should that be a consideration? I see Energizer has a whole FLEET of bikes!!!)

Still, it's not a GS, and I don't have lots of money, and live in a condo besides; maybe I should let someone else give it a good home. If anyone is interested in hearing about it, drop me a note. IT runs and rides great, and (like a good woman), once you know just how to sweet-talk them, it will start just about anytime you want it to.

It probably needs fork seals, as I think one just started weeping. Otherwise, it's good-to-go.

Anyway, now that Winter is here, ride safe, if you can ride at all... Winter has finally come to IOWA, and I HATE IT that I can't ride my bikes! OH well. AT least I can dream, and get ready for next Spring... Have bug-bombs, will spray!

Opinions on whether to sell or not to sell the little YAMMY are welcomed and solicited.

Comment

Wayne, just be aware that the paint you get in aerosol cans is not catalysed. ( It would harden in the can if it were) So any type of solvent,ie.. gas, wax&grease remover etc is going to affect it, and not in a good way either. I realize money may be tight, I can definitely relate to that, but looking at the big picture it might be better to spend a little more money to use quality materials but end up with better results that last longer. After all, would you really want to do it all over again just because you spilled a couple of drops of gas on your brand new paint job? Just food for thought.
                      Doze.

Comment

Doze -

I'm thinking about painting my bike too, and was going to go for the aerosol can method due to tight budget, but you mentioned that they're not catalysed and as such, gas would leave marks in it. (That's actually what's happening currently, as the last guy did a rather lousy job). Anyway, what type(s) of paint would you suggest that are catalysed? I was hoping to go for the metalflake look. Thanks.

--Tyler

Comment

Tyler, the only type of paints out there that are catalyzed are automotive type , that must be sprayed with a spray gun. Unfortunately this means a little more cost than simply rattle canning it. However if you check around you should be able to find someone who can do the job for a very reasonable price. I'm talking $200 or less here.
                          Doze.

Comment

Another suggestion , try your local hire equipment type places and just hire a compressor type paint setup for a weekend, may not be the cheapest alternative but worth it for the end result.
                            Dink

Comment

Would it be possible to paint the undercoats in a non-catalyzed paint, and just put a top layer of catalyzed paint on? or would those be incompatable?

--Tyler

Comment

Working...
                              X