Anyone ever made a rear seat back rest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever made a rear seat back rest?

Once I get my 450 running and get comfortable on it, I'll eventually start taking my wife on rides with me. I'd feel more comfortable with her back there if there was some kind of back rest. I can't imagine it'd be too terribly difficult to bend up some bar and find a pad to bolt up.

I made this with some bent at home aluminum, scrap leather, scrap plywood, and foam pad. The connection was to the stock grab bar drilling them out in place and connecting with stainless steel eye hooks.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...20Sissy%20Bar/

password: GSresources

I started the bends at the top and worked my way down, I heated the bar up with a torch and bent it over a wooden dowel and used thick leather gloves to not burn myself. Came out pretty decent and cost about $20 in supplies from home depot.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Once I get my 450 running and get comfortable on it, I'll eventually start taking my wife on rides with me. I'd feel more comfortable with her back there if there was some kind of back rest. I can't imagine it'd be too terribly difficult to bend up some bar and find a pad to bolt up.
      Make the pad too. If you cover the back of the pad with the same material as the cover, you don't have the plywood look.

Comment

Damn dude, that's actually some pretty nice work given the tools. Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
          I made this with some bent at home aluminum, scrap leather, scrap plywood, and foam pad. The connection was to the stock grab bar drilling them out in place and connecting with stainless steel eye hooks.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

password: GSresources

I started the bends at the top and worked my way down, I heated the bar up with a torch and bent it over a wooden dowel and used thick leather gloves to not burn myself. Came out pretty decent and cost about $20 in supplies from home depot.
          Wow, that's impressive. Good to know that it's that cheap, and what looks to be that simple.

Comment

Thats true, the second one I made was for the ex's honda rebel. I wrapped the back of the wood in leather as well. The ones I made where more a function thing than for looks, and I kept the pads pretty light but you can go as big as you want on the foam.

It can be as simple or fancy as you want. The rebel had a ton of space over the fender so I made a basic rack with the sissy bar on that one, basically enough so she could stap down a backpack and know it would stay.

Can you tell I like eye hooks? changed the fender mount bolts to them, so much easier and better for the fender to have a real spot to strap things down to.

Comment

I'm no sure what attachment points you've got to work with on the 450, but here's how I did it on my triumph:

I built the vertical part of sissybar first and bolted it up with some spacers to the rear strut bolts. Then I bolted up the diagonal bar stock to the middle strut bolts, found the right angles for everything, tacked it all together, and pulled it off to fully weld it. Added the luggage rack after that.

A lot of time, effort, and money went into making that seat. Just a pad for a backrest can be done really cheap though. A closed cell foam yoga/camping mat makes a great foam donor, just layer it up a few times with spray glue. Any old scrap of leather or some fake stuff from a fabric store should be easy to come by.

Comment

I got a backrest for my 650, never used it, never will, lol.
                I should probably sell it, but I hate dealing with eBay....

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  Its possible someone might be willing to take it off your hands for a nominal fee...

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

Same here with my 750, although I never even looked how it attached before hacking up the frame. For all I know the PO could have given me some kawa or honda backrest mistakenly Maybe over spring break I'll dig it out of the shed and snap some pics... see if it can be IDed and placed in a new home for shipping and beer $$.

Comment

Working...
                    X