Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

placing decals properly ?

GS1100E
    Does anyone out there know of a schematic or other that would help me locate my new decals on my nice new paint job?

Dunce that i am i didn't landmark or properly photograph them before i sanded everything off.

ya ya i know, Darwin was right and i have a realy fast bike...
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM. Reason: ahhh wanted email notification added...

Would help if we knew what year your bike was ... add it to your signature line, for example.

You could simply go to one of the parts fiches on-line (ie: Partshark.com). For example, to install the decals on my 1981 GS1100EX, I'm going by these decal diagrams, as well as, photo's of my buddies bike. If your bike is similar to our year and model, I could include a couple of photos of his bike if you'd like.

Comment

Hi,

Using the example above, 1981 GS1100E(X), you'll see #2 and #4 are the tape sets and their application in the parts fiche picture...

Note that the #2 is one tape set color and #4 is another. The different tape sets went with the different color tanks for that year.

Here is the side cover...

Again, the tape sets are different depending on if your bike (for that year) was black or blue.

I'm sure if you provide a model year that someone with a similar bike can provide some pictures or measurements. You could even have a look in the gallery (see link on the GSR homepage).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

bonehead here, 1982

Yup, keeping up with you sharps is a full time job.
        1982, BOM in october, using the 83 decals.
        i've grabbed a few pics from this and other sites to try and landmark the decals.
        Just thought thier might be a mask or method to the madness that wasn't creeping into my sleep.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it...you could be off by a few mm, and still be 'correct'. If you look closely at the placement of decals on a few stock bikes, there is some variation, much more noticeably so, with the decals on the side covers.....in all likelihood, there wasn't any strict datum measuring in their placement at the factory. The decal placement on some models also vary quite a bit according to the intended market.....some '82 GS1100Es in parts of Europe were sold with the tank decal placed on a slant (Katana style), making that 'factory correct' too. If it helps, I have pics of a stock-paint Canadian '82 1100E in my album, or I could PM you higher res. ones, if you wish.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Thanks for the tips, i have the confidance to do it and will get it close with the pictures i have, though...
            I forget the tail decal location and hav't any picture of it.
            if'n you have a snap of that it would help a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by randaroo View Post
              Thanks for the tips, i have the confidance to do it and will get it close with the pictures i have, though...
              I forget the tail decal location and hav't any picture of it.
              if'n you have a snap of that it would help a bunch.
              I posted a couple pics of the tail decal in another thread. This is the correct decal for the '82 bike....if your kit doesn't include it, it will likely have a small "Suzuki" one that was used on the '83 bikes, as they didn't get the cool 'S'.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

I got the Suzi script rather than the "s" .
                The maroon on my bike had faded a bit, looked like mud the clear was peeling too, didn't look so good so i changed the color, yours looks way good though, and the 82 decals would have been perfect, but there ya go.
                I'll stick to what i have and someday get the 's" as well, its one of the cool factors to the Suzuki's.

Comment

Originally posted by randaroo View Post
                  I'll stick to what i have and someday get the 's" as well, its one of the cool factors to the Suzuki's.
                  As & when you want it, I believe it's available at Reproduction Decals separately for around $8.00, as Wacky found in the other thread. Please post up some pics of the bike when you're done....it should look pretty sharp in that blue!
                  '82 GS1100E

Comment

Placed the decals this morning and can't stop visiting the basement to admire the bike.
                    Reproductiondecals product is excellent, i'm super pleased with the look and ease of application. I'll clear it in a few weeks.
                    i'll post in the sunshine but for now the snow pile in front of the doors is legend, so it'll have to wait.
                    THanks for everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X