Fork polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork polishing

I'm attempting to polish the outer tubes on my 78 and I've run into a dilemma

1. The left outer on the bike has 3 gouges in it in a highly visible area - they're all over 12mm long and deep enough to catch a fingernail. I can't see grinding/sanding these out. Anyone ever used a filler for this? If so, what? Does the filler polish up?

2. I have an extra front end with a left outer that's not gouged, however, the front of this tube has surface porousity from top to bottom. I've tried sanding that out, but very little headway. If I can't remove the pores, it won't polish for ****e.

Any solutions?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Are you talking about the upper tubes or the lower slides. The chromed tubes wont polish out from a gouge in the chrome. I may be wrong but I had to strip and refinish my tubes on the 750 project.

Comment

Outer = lower slides
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you're willing to take the time, those scratches can be taken out. That's if they they are only deep enough to catch a fingernail.

Comment

Since its just in the aluminum, youre fine. Id take a broad fine file and slow with a light touch go across the area at an angle. Once the scratches are reduced, 120 grit, and keep going finer til youre polishing more than anything. I did this in the 750 to remove the casing marks and the caliber mounts. A hand sander will take a lot of the time outta the work, just have to go with a very light hand.

Comment

GS ACE,

I hear you do a pretty job with polishing???
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Yup, Tas. No complaints yet.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Like the guys said, they will come out with a lot of pateince and elbow grease, I had a few in my ignition cover from dropping the bike, and a night in front of the TV with a bucket of water and various grades of sandpaper sorted it out, you can't tell there was ever a scratch on there.
                But it does take a lot of work.

Comment

Two things..........electricity and 3M products.

Comment

On English bikes I have had holes in case covers TIG welded up and repolished them so that you couldn't tell. I have also filed and sanded pretty deep gouges out of primary cases after tossing my Commando down the road with good success, a couple times for that matter.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                    X