frame/wheel paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame/wheel paint

finishing up a year long 85 gs 550es project. mechaniclly its 90% there, there are a couple thing i want to get checked out because they go beyond my level ( i got the bike as a pile of parts after it had been sitting in a wood shed for 17 years).

so with most of the hardware done its on the make it pretty stage

couple of things i want to do

#1 so i want to paint the rims,swing arm, frame, footpegs and bracket all a matte black, what type of paint will be good for that application that will resist chipping from rocks and such and mildy chemical resistant for road grime and oil and such

#2 for the life of me i cannot get the seat so sit flush aganst the plastic pannels its high in the back and just seems to fit loosely and some of the stiches are coming out.

#3 the ugly front cowl/square headlight. anyone know a suitable replacement for the square like say a gs700 round? is it the same bulb in the back? i want to find a round that will take the same bracket. ive been riding it without the mini cowl i prefer the look without it just looks odd with the square headlight

#4 paint, i plan on painting it (all the white primer) yellow to match my truck i have new black suzuki stickers for the tank, i just hope it doesnt look to plain without like a black pinstripe down it or something to break up the solid yellow

first bike, first project been great experience so far, just looking for some help, comment, points,suggestions to help finish it off

shameless bump

Comment

Frame n wheels? Powdercoat baby!

Comment

Por-15 makes some tough paints. Next best thing to powder coat.

Chassis Coat is good stuff - used it on various semi gloss parts for my various restoration projects. The catalyzed urethane paints are better still but more work and no semi gloss or flat colors. http://www.por15.com/CHASSIS-COAT-BL...oductinfo/CHG/
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you want to go the cheaper route, Rust-oleum makes an excellent High-Temp Engine enamel. They sell it in spray cans. Sticks on engines, brakes, you name it.
          (the basic ones are good for 500 degrees, and the pricier ones to 1200 and up.)

But if you plan on painting A LOT of stuff, you're better off going a different route.....just save the High-Temp spray for smaller projects.

Comment

Used this on my frame

Very tough stuff.Did putting the engine in twice without scratching it up.Frame before

and after

Comment

I've used Ace's epoxy paint on four of my bikes and have had great results. It's the next best thing to powder coating, which to me, is over rated in certain applications.

Comment

I powdercoat all my frames and wheels. Best finish and it's made to withstand a good beating.

Comment

Depends on your budget really.

Personally, I have successfully used both powder coating's and 2pak (urethane) paints.

I think that the cheapest option for the long term is to stick with GOOD brands of urethane paints as they tend to be much more durable when they are applied with 2 or 3 coats of clear 2pak over the base colour.

I have found that powder coatings can tend to chip off when hit with stones etc when you are out on the road.

Powder coats are much more durable and long lasting though if you use a 2pak urethane clear over them as well.

Thats my $0.02 (including GST)
                  Regards,
                  Andy
                  Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
                  Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Depends on your budget. I am gong the powder coating route, as I bartered with the shop a long time ago and they owe me. But I asked what he would have normally charged me, and to do the wheels, frame, swingarm, pegs, motor mounts, front shocks, and triple tree/fairing brackets for my GS1000S, sandblasted and powdercoated, would have been 200.00. That's alot of work and a great price, I think. And powder coating is typically tougher than any paint. Plus if you scratch it, you can re-flow it with a heat gun.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thanks for the paint tips

anyone have any suggestions on a suitable headlight replacement? anyone know if the older 78 gs550 round light has the same bulb in it as the 85 square?

mine came with the midget quater fairing and it has been plastic welded and fibreglass repaired from the PO so i dont want to use it, it looks like poop.

im actually a little tall for this bike, anyone ever try to take the bump out of the seat and make it 1 long single? i find myself pushing back aganst that bump all the time to get farther from the bars

Comment

frame wheel coatings

You should be able to put 700e headlight aslong as you have chaged the H/L ears. most gs round lights if they can fit the 37mm fork mounted ears.of the 700e. i bought one of these 550e new back in 85' best handelinng bike i ever had.my brothers 600r ninja could blow me away on staits but the gs would eat his dunlop in the tight rough corners of my state. wish icould help with the rest but the guys have givven all the info you need.comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$. goodluck

Comment

Working...
                        X