Forks Polished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks Polished

Here's the before'n after. Got a nice satin finish, but polishing forks is a lot more work than I thought (they stayed on the bike throughout).

I have a question for you guys: what grease is best for reassembly of the various nuts and bolts of the front wheel assembly? I have the following on hand. Copper based anti-seize (normally for engine bolts), teflon grease, lithium grease, 3-in-1 household oil, WD 40, motor oil.

Before

Halfway there! I used a 10mm metal rod clamped in place to keep the forks from rotating while I work on them. A piece of threaded rod would also work.

Since there were no deep gouges on the forks, 400 grit wet sand paper was used to remove the clearcoat, cut into strips as such

Once all the clearcoat was removed I polished using a cotton rotary wheel attached to my hand drill.

After

Here's what the small odds'n ends looked like before and after "treatment"

I usually put a thin layer of grease (lithium) on the front axle to minimixe corrosion & aid in the next removal...

I use anti-sieze on anything threaded.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You didn't actually polish that old bolt, did you?

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
        You didn't actually polish that old bolt, did you?
        Yes, I'm afraid I did..... and the washers too! This is the first time I restore a bike, and I fear it's becoming a bit of an obsession.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          I usually put a thin layer of grease (lithium) on the front axle to minimixe corrosion & aid in the next removal...

I use anti-sieze on anything threaded.
          Ok hikermikem, thanks.

Comment

Looks GOOD!
            What did you use to polish? I did mine but the problem I have is they turned out too shiny.
            I like yours better!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
              Yes, I'm afraid I did..... and the washers too! This is the first time I restore a bike, and I fear it's becoming a bit of an obsession.
              Just exactly what I like to hear!!! Job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
                I think obsession is a requirement for membership here, isn't it?

Comment

Go get a stainless bolt or all that work will quickly go to waste.

Comment

WisGolfer59, these last few days, I've spent so much time in garage, the pooch is moving in with me!

Octain, I first tried normal polishing compound, but like you found it resulted in a shinier finish than I wanted. I sanded again lightly with 600 grit and applied some liquid aluminum polish to the fork with a brush. After letting it dry to a semi-liquid state (about 5 mins) I then hit it with the cotton polishing wheel. The results were closer to the satin look I was aiming for.

Comment

Looks good, but I have to confess, I went for the high sheen on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                        Go get a stainless bolt or all that work will quickly go to waste.
                        He has a very good point. I know oh too well. For a year or more I used steel wool followed by WD40 to keep the rust off for a short time but on my recent build I spent the money and had ALL the bolts, spacers, washers, etc., Cadmium plated, a bit of money but well worth it. Some guys spray paint and cook them with good results, some clear coat but not sure how that turns out. Bikes looking very good, is it still coming across the water to Canada this year?
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

AZR, tks for the comments, I have replaced with stainless when I can find the right sizes locally, even cut a few bolts to size on occasion, but the caliper bolts are a weird size I couldn't find.

Also this bike won't be ridden in the wet or in winter once its done, I have the honda for that.
                          Yeah, the bike is definitely coming across the pond with me this summer. Wifey is presently in Toronto house hunting, so I have the garage all to myself, hehe.

Comment

Nice job

The best way I found to achieve satin finish is to start out with wet/dry paper from 400, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and finish with 2000 Gives an awesome satin finish!

I have also successfully used clear 2pak (urethane) paint over freshly polished alloy.
                            It maintains the surface of the alloy, be it high mirror finish or satin/anodised and it is extremely durable even to stone chips and road grime!
                            Regards,
                            Andy
                            Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
                            Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

I remove the clear coat with paint stripper. Takes 5 minutes.

Then we go 220, 400, 600 and finally steel wool to get that satin finish.

I degrease with lacquer thinner and clear coat with clear engine paint.

Good for few years.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X