Got the rebuilt wheels on the GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the rebuilt wheels on the GS750

I think it looks alot better with the new wheels. Here is a small pictorial of the process. Was quite fun, and a proud moment

Pic of the bike with the old wheels
    Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2011, 06:13 PM.

Nice job, I like the gold wheels

Comment

Love that color. Looks spot on.

Comment

They look great!
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Did you have any problems scratching the paint when lacing it back together? Where did you get the spokes from?

Comment

I love the color of your wheels. Could you tell me what it is, specifically. Thanks very much.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

What tires did you end up running on these? I, too, would like to know where you got your spokes from.

Comment

Thanks, it was a fun experience.

First the spokes are from Buchanan, I got the stainless spokes with nickel nipples. This is to hopefully keep them from corroding and fusing themselves together. Took me about a weel to get them, the spokes are made to each order. They are pretty smart at Buchanan, any spoke, any size any design they can make. And there spoke guy has been with them for 20+ years, so he knows what he is doing.

The paint is Duplicolor's Rim Paint, in Bronze. This paint comes highly recomended on many many car, and motorcycle forums. It is mentioned here as well. It is very strong, and resiliant to brake dust, and chipping. When mounting the tire I used 3M painters tape on the lip. I did manage to get one small nick in the paint with the spoons. Touched it up with a toothpick and I dare you to find it. As for lacing the wheel, no scratches. I laced up the inners firs then the outers last. By only threading the nipples on by 2 to 3 turns each the hub has enough float that there was no need to force any thing into place. Just give the wheel a little shake, the hub would drop, and spoke fall right in. Normally about 1/8" clearance to spare.

When I got the bike I rebuilt the mag wheels. New bearings, repainted them, etc. I installed Avon Roadriders on the mags. The main purpose for getting the GS1000 wheels is that the rims are the exact same size as the mags. So I simply popped the 6 month old Avons off the mags and dropped them on the wires. Took me all of 30 minutes with tire spoons to swap the tires and balance the wheel. I spent more time driving around town trying to find a bike shop that had wheel weights that crimp on to the spoke instead of sticky weights.

BTW the main reason the wheels got painted is because the hoops were pretty nasty corroded. A quick trip through the glass beading cabinet and they were smooth and prepped for paint.

Thanks again, I am really happy with the out come

Comment

Working...
                X