Time to make it my own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to make it my own

So ive enjoyed riding my GS1100GK the way i received it. Its comfortable, sits high, and overall makes me feel like i'm 80yo and going to the farmers market. Not quite my style, knowing the muscle is between my legs isnt enough, i want it to look as fast as it is.

This is how she looked when i took her home, not bad but not good. At this point i was going to keep her the way she was. Well i had that near death the other day were as my rear fender hooked over the highway bar i got midEVIL (no spelling problem here!) on it with the sawzall and this is the end result

its looking better but i started digging in the parts been, specifically the chopper parts been and found a set of stainless steel struts for the rear, which got me thinking about my buddies KZ900 that has a drag bike look but still totally streetable. i guess that would be called pro street but im not sure since ive never been into racing bikes.

Basically i want to drop the rear 3 with the struts. Im unsure how that would affect the shaft drive. Would it improve hookup or hurt it. i know my comfort is going to go down but that doesnt matter much to me.

Next i want to lower the front 2, i plan on doing this by just dropping the forks in the trees. and then add a nice drag bar or superbike bar. Are there any benefits to either style as far as handling? I know my lean angle is going to drop substantially but that is suspension related and not really affected by handlebars.

So any thoughts? Also if anyone has any pictures of GSs done this style please lead me to them, i can find KZs up the wazoo done like this but no GSs and could use some inspiration.

Put a stock seat ,cam cover and ride the snot out of her...
    81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

this is basically the direction im headed

Comment

Lame .
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Lame .
          how so? everything im going to do will be removable if i decide to go back to stock, and im not going to put some rediculous paint on it

Comment

Too long and low personally. How many speed bumps do you really want to scrape with that thing? It would almost be unusable like that.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Too long and low personally. How many speed bumps do you really want to scrape with that thing? It would almost be unusable like that.
              it wouldnt be that long since its a shaft drive i couldnt extend it, low i dont mind, no speedbumps here that would make snowplowing a beeatch. I know plenty of guys that ride kz900's this style effectively and dont seem to have problems. i just never see GSs done in this style and want one myself.

Comment

One thing to consider before you lower the back:

Yes, there is a universal joint in the driveshaft, but it's basically made to stay rather straight, as it's not a constant-velocity joint.

What that means is that when it's not in-line, the output will be speeding up and slowing down compared to the input, twice on every revolution.

That is going to play havoc with the splines in the final drive.

The straighter you can keep the driveshaft, the happier it will be.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  One thing to consider before you lower the back:

Yes, there is a universal joint in the driveshaft, but it's basically made to stay rather straight, as it's not a constant-velocity joint.

What that means is that when it's not in-line, the output will be speeding up and slowing down compared to the input, twice on every revolution.

That is going to play havoc with the splines in the final drive.

The straighter you can keep the driveshaft, the happier it will be.

thank you this is the kind of feedback i was looking for.

Comment

I know someone who might want to buy the pipes and guage pods, if you don't want them. I also wouldn't worry about the comfort of drag bars. They work really well with rigid suspension I have heard.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I think you have a really comfortable, nice looking bike as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        I know someone who might want to buy the pipes and guage pods, if you don't want them. I also wouldn't worry about the comfort of drag bars. They work really well with rigid suspension I have heard.
                        probably would keep the guages but im still not decided on the pipe yet, of course a v&h megaphone would be the standard. id probably be willing to trade my set up for a 4 to 1 if he had one.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Your bike make it yours, but it might be easier to do if you had a chain drive bike to build into. Could always look around and keep this one as a rider while you get the other one ready. The only reason mine is going through its transformation is because I had to replace the bottom gasket on the engine so I said what the heck. Mine will be pretty much stock except a few mods. Now the other 550 will be a complete chop.... modelled after a bike by Henryinva. His black 750 that came out oh so sweet.

Paul

Comment

Definitely looks better without that giant highway bar on there.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

knowing the muscle is between my legs isnt enough...

Someone had to bring this back into this thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X