Does this seat look fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this seat look fat?

This seat is comfortable, but pretty tall. I was thinking of having it recontoured, still flat, but an inch or two lower. What do you guys think?

I think it fits the look of the bike perfect. If the cover is good, I would leave it alone...

Comment

I would only lower it if you were just barely big enough to cast a shadow.

The foam in these seats was barely adequate when the bikes were made 30 years ago. Age has not improved its quality.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It only looks too tall because the handlebar is so low.
        Perhaps you could sell it and get a cafe-type seat if that is what you like or as Steve said: "I would only lower it if you were just barely big enough to cast a shadow."
        I, typically, add padding and RAISE the seat height.

Daniel

Comment

Just get a newer bike with a less comfortable seat, you'll be fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nah. Seat doesn't look fat at all.

Not nearly like this one anyway. Gawwwwd!

Comment

JOSHUA PIPES!!! THAT was totally uncalled for..my god most of us havent even had breakfast yet!!!!! As for the bike seat question..as long as you can stop and control keeping the bike up i would leave it..your butt will thank you later..
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Mornin Chuckie

Comment

Josh...check your PMs...BEOOTCH!!!!
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I think it looks pretty good the way it is. But I could see it with a lower profile as well.

Comment

if you go with lower seat you'll need to modify rear fender/light as it will stick out of place

Comment

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Comment

If you lower it I would say just the front and give it some good old "L" loving

as others said that seat looks like it is in great shape if you want to play get a used pan that fits and make another one up, that way you can swap seats if you get a decent looking one that might not be as comfortable for longer trips.

Oh and the seat I did on mine had nothing to do with looks and everything to do with comfort, especially for riding 2up. I will say though Saddleman has a lot of good options and mine was reasonable priced including the foam and cover. You could find a shape you like that is close in size and put it on another pan.

Comment

I got a decent stepped seat foam from a 78 1000 i can donate to the mock up effort if thats the way you decide to go..I like the get a pan and mock up a new setup idea..take an electric knife and shape it any way you want to.

Comment

If anything, change to a seat (or recontour yours) to a sloped-back design more suited to a cafe bike. I actually like the look of what you have there - having ridden cafe's and hating the discomfort.
                              Your seat looks like you could go fast - for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X