Left Side Hand Grip Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Grips

A hunnert years ago a motocross wrench told me they used WD40 for getting them off AND for puttng them on.... and that's all I've ever done since (never ever purchased any grip glue). Use the straw to shoot a little under the grip...twist...repeat. This works on the throttle tube too. With some of the newer grip materials I've found them a little more stubborn, sometimes requiring a small screwdriver or such to help break it loose.

I tend to experiment with different handle bars and can't see buying new grips every time I want to swap. I've got one set of OEM grips that I bet have been on and off a dozen times
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      Grips are cheap,why reuse?
      I have a preference for Sunline GT grips.

Can you get me some?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        I have a preference for Sunline GT grips.

Can you get me some?
        Me? Did an eBay search for those ,nothing came up.Never heard of them before.Mine are Progrips.

Comment

When you do finally replace the grips the best thing to use for installation is hairspray, hairspray allows the grip to slide right on and also holds extremely well. Spray some hairspray into the grip let it coat the whole inside, slide it into place and let it dry for at least twelve hours. If you need to remove the grip at a later date all you need to do is get a good firm grip using both hands and twist. I've been doing it like this for thirty plus years and have never had a problem with one coming off or coming loose unintentionally.
          You never want to glue the grips on, that just creates trouble later on down the road as you have apparently found out.
          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
            When you do finally replace the grips the best thing to use for installation is hairspray, hairspray allows the grip to slide right on and also holds extremely well. Spray some hairspray into the grip let it coat the whole inside, slide it into place and let it dry for at least twelve hours. If you need to remove the grip at a later date all you need to do is get a good firm grip using both hands and twist. I've been doing it like this for thirty plus years and have never had a problem with one coming off or coming loose unintentionally.
            You never want to glue the grips on, that just creates trouble later on down the road as you have apparently found out.
            I agree, hairspray is the perfect adhesive for your grips, been using it over a 40 year period when I owned various bikes and haven't found anything else that works better.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

The benefit of using lighter fluid is that it will evaporate.
              It 'travels' under the grip, breaks down grip glue and lubes things up so that the grip slides easily.
              When you use it to install a grip, the fact that it evaporates leaves the grip firmly on the bar once it drys.

Comment

Working...
              X