Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 gs850 tank too big... what else will fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850 tank too big... what else will fit?

Without doing significant modifications, I'm hoping to find a much smaller tank to put on my 850. The stock tank is just way too big to work with any of the seat options I have for the project I'm working on.

What smaller tanks will bolt right up? Any?

tried the search but didn't have good results.

Thanks!
    Bryan

If you are working with an 850G then your best bet would be to get a tank off of an 850GL. Those tanks were smaller but I don't think that it will bolt right up, you would have to move the mounts on the frame to match up to the smaller tank. Not a problem if you have a welder and are handy with it. There was a member here who did the opposite, put the G tank on an L. Here is the thread on it, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=160112

Comment

When I bought my 77 gs750 it had and 80's 850 tank on it so I would think a tank from a 77 750 will fit.

Comment

there is a guy on you tube who made a bober out of a 850, and he put a 400 tank on it he had to modify the rear mounting bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Mifune View Post
          When I bought my 77 gs750 it had and 80's 850 tank on it so I would think a tank from a 77 750 will fit.
          That is good to know.

Did your 850 tank have a single rear center bolt underneath ('79-81), or two rear bolts on tabs on the back on the tank ('82 on 850)?
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks, folks. I like the stock tank... the subtle knee indents are nice, it's just the scale of it that's off IMO. I'm messing with some other seat ideas first. I may try to grab another tank to prep/paint while this one is on the bike. I'm sure it's documented somewhere what tanks from other manufacturers will fit the top tube of these frames, I just need to find that info.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              That is good to know.

Did your 850 tank have a single rear center bolt underneath ('79-81), or two rear bolts on tabs on the back on the tank ('82 on 850)?
              1 bolt. 1 bolt.

Comment

There's a 550 being parted local to me. I know they have the two bolt mount like the 850 tank does... anyone have an idea if it will fit??

Comment

The best bet would be to take some measurements between the front/rear mounts of your current tank and go have a look at the 550 tank in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Mifune View Post
                    1 bolt. 1 bolt.
                    Then it won't bolt up on an '82 850.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                    X