Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

79 GS850, moms boyfriends' bike who passed away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850, moms boyfriends' bike who passed away...

This was my Moms boyfriends bike, he passed tragically in a car accident 9 years ago.
    The bike has been sitting ever since. (last year i rolled it into the garage and started tinkering.)

He loved this bike, fixed it up and got it running, and always had an idea to get "MONTANA" in old english script diagonally down the top of the gas tank..

It will be a while before this thing is on the road again, and will be seeking advice and help from the community here...

but what I was thinking for paint, to also go with the MONTANA, was finding a way to "Ghost Skunk" it, and wondering if anyone has done that.
    The reason being, obviously the symbolism of "ghost" paint, but also he was a rare, original kinda guy- referencing the "skunk" and how much he loved this old GS.

I'd love feedback since this is going to be a long process.
    thanks
    -Noah

Great start. Maybe instead of montana in script a ghost outline of the state of montana. That would be kinda cool going around the zuki emblem

Comment

Hi,

By "skunk" do you mean black with a white stripe down the sides of the tank inline with the 'Suzuki' tank badge? If so, I think it would look cool to do the same with the sidecovers too. Then a white stripe on top of the tail section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

By "skunk" do you mean black with a white stripe down the sides of the tank inline with the 'Suzuki' tank badge? If so, I think it would look cool to do the same with the sidecovers too. Then a white stripe on top of the tail section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        yeah but I want to do it like ghost paint (like how they put ghost flames on some hot rods/etc), not just straight up "skunk" it

you get the idea... not flames, just ghost skunk.
        just wondering if it's been done, and what the community here thinks of the idea.
        thanks!
        -Noah

Comment

I think it would look super cool.

Comment

Hi ArtByScars,

If you plan using rattle cans, pick the stripe color in a slightly lighter shade. It won't give you the depth effect of an airbrush job, but could nice.

A different way to ghost your stripe would be through different paint finish.
            Semi-gloss skunk over high gloss using same color.
            McLoud
            '79 GS850
            `98 GSF1200 Bandit
            sigpic
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
              Hi ArtByScars,

If you plan using rattle cans, pick the stripe color in a slightly lighter shade. It won't give you the depth effect of an airbrush job, but could nice.

A different way to ghost your stripe would be through different paint finish.
              Semi-gloss skunk over high gloss using same color.
              thanks for ideas,I havent done it before, was thinking of getting the tank painted by a shop, but maybe could do it myself..
              maybe keep the matte black color scheme and a satin stripe or visa-versa?

one real problem- someone took one of the spark plugs out while it was sitting outside, probably was out for a year or more

Comment

Have you taken the ignition cover off and put a wrench on the nut and tried to turn the motor over ? plug missing could be bad
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  Have you taken the ignition cover off and put a wrench on the nut and tried to turn the motor over ? plug missing could be bad
                  I have not..
                  I soaked the engine/cylinders with mystery oil for about three weeks and pushed the kickstart- after a few tries, it moved slightly (i wasn't forcing it) and I kept working it until it pushed all the way.
                  I'm not too mechanical, but the bike was on the center stand and the rear wheel spun with kickstart, does this mean the engine is spinning/free and clutch plates are stuck? Is it possible for the kick-start to spin the rear wheel if the motor is seized?
                  which leads to next question- rebuild or motor swap? I think a swap would be cheaper and easier at this point.
                  thanks
                  -Noah

Comment

I think the engine is free but the clutch is seized. It can't hurt to pull the side open and look at the clutch basket. As a plus, it would give you an idea as to the condition inside the crankcase. Then you can make your build/swap decision after that.
                    Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                    1979 GS850GN
                    sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                    1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
                      I think the engine is free but the clutch is seized. It can't hurt to pull the side open and look at the clutch basket. As a plus, it would give you an idea as to the condition inside the crankcase. Then you can make your build/swap decision after that.
                      I've never built or swapped an engine, which makes me think I'd have better luck with swapping a running engine.
                      However, I also want to use his engine to keep it original..

Comment

about how long does it take to swap an 850 motor?
                        my friend has a motorcycle garage with space and every tool I'd need

Comment

With all the parts needed about a day with an extra guy

Comment

With you and another set of semi knowlegable hands you could do it in a solid day probably. Maybe two depending on how difficult getting the old one out is.

Comment

I imagine tranny and final drive should be ok, still sealed. We'll see how this summer pans out and if I get to work on it or not..

Comment

Working...
                              X