Alloy Polish for Rim and Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alloy Polish for Rim and Case

Over the years I have used many polishing products from various companies as they market their latest and greatest and have usually been happy with the results. After hearing members here on GSR talking about Mothers and its quality finish I thought I'll give it a go. After handing over the $25 I walked out with my 8floz bottle of Mothers Power Metal Aluminum Polish, this stuff makes beer look cheap! Anyway I hurried off to the shed to see what this would do for my tired old Kat rims and cases, WOW! Its worth every cent and then some, I will go without beer rather than not have some of this gear looking after my alloy from now on. I started using it this month (April 2011) and I can't believe how good it is, the pics may help explain why I am so pleased with the results, cheers.

Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
    Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

It's great stuff that I've been using for as long as I can remember. It works great on clearing up hazed plastic headlight covers on your auto.

Comment

Nice bike

I like Blue Magic best of the stuff I have used.

Are you using a cotton wheel on a drill motor?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

That is a really sharp looking bike...I really envy you guys with those Kats...I want one!

DDM

Comment

Mate that came up well!

I've used Mothers mag and alloy polish to good effect over the years and I've only had to hand polish with a soft cloth.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I use it with a DeWalt angle grinder and a hard polishing wheel for the wheels.
            Rub it in with my finger and polish with the grinder setup.
            Works great!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I use Simichrome, by far the best polish I have ever found. If you think $25 for 8oz is bad I paid $10 for 1.76oz of Simichrome.

Comment

So shiny... I also use Mother's Mag and Alloy polish. But it sure is a pain to rub it with a cloth! I've been really thinking about getting a bench grinder with buffing wheels.

Comment

I buffed the swing arm and rims with a sisal wheel and cutting compound before polishing with a cotton wheel and then finishing with a swan mop and Mothers, all that took about 11 hours.

The cases were done the same way and now just need to be given a once over each week using a cloth and Mothers.

The rims were relaced after being done on the buffer and now its the love of spokes. Grab a few beers, the Mothers (polish this time), a soft polishing cloth and using the Mark-I left and right tools (hands) start polishing. Its the only job I know of that gets better the more beer you have?
                  Shin-Ken 1074
                  1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                    I use Simichrome, by far the best polish I have ever found. If you think $25 for 8oz is bad I paid $10 for 1.76oz of Simichrome.
                    Hi Jason, Simichrome, time to do some homework on it for me by the looks. At that price the active polishing compound must be made using powdered diamonds that are hand-ground by Super Models and mixed with unobtainium oxide and Moon dust. I'll never complain about the price of Mothers again, cheers.
                    Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                      Hi Jason, Simichrome, time to do some homework on it for me by the looks. At that price the active polishing compound must be made using powdered diamonds that are hand-ground by Super Models and mixed with unobtainium oxide and Moon dust. I'll never complain about the price of Mothers again, cheers.
                      Simichrome appears to be = Autosol which has German origins, IIRC. Been around a long time...not sure if Claudia Schiffer had a hand in it.
                      Nice job on your Kat, BTW.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                        Simichrome appears to be = Autosol which has German origins, IIRC. Been around a long time...not sure if Claudia Schiffer had a hand in it.
                        Nice job on your Kat, BTW.
                        Autosol is German in origin and if Claudia's hand was involved then the price seems right to me! Thanks for the kind words about the Kat, cheers SuzyQ.
                        Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          Nice bike

I like Blue Magic best of the stuff I have used.

Are you using a cotton wheel on a drill motor?
                          Hi 850 Combat, after removing the swing arm I used a buffing machine on it as well as the rims after de-lacing the spokes. The side cases were done on the Kat using a drill and swan mop with Mothers Power Metal, cheers.
                          Shin-Ken 1074

Comment

Working...
                          X