Barn door- part deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn door- part deux

Some of you may remember the Humungous windscreen on the 82 1100 I bought. It was probably the most commented item on the entire bike. Well, most of that bike is gone by now, but the "barn door" remained.

In the interest of self preservation I really needed to do something about a windscreen on my 1000G. At speeds 65 or above, I feel like I'm about to be pushed off the bike. (I have a build that very much resembles a large sail.) Since $150 more or less is not in the budget right now, I decided to take matters in my own hands. More precisely, my Dremels.

So here is a before and after photo of the windscreen. You'll notice that on the 1100 you still can't see the top of the windscreen!! It really was gigantic!! After some riding and adjusting the height a bit, I'm super happy with how it turned out. I have completely removed the pressure from my chest, but I still get the wind in my face. It's great! 70+ is no problem now.

On the 1100

Showing how much was removed:

After:

Let me know what you think. There are still a couple of finishing touches in the form of sanding.

Nice job, but I think the whole thing is mounted about six inches too high.

The curved portion should be more or less hugging the top of the headlight shell.

It's quite possible that if you had simply lowered the whole shield, you might not have had to do any cutting.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The curved portion should be more or less hugging the top of the headlight shell.

It's quite possible that if you had simply lowered the whole shield, you might not have had to do any cutting.

X2 its mounted to high.

Comment

It won't go any lower. I know it's kinda hard to tell from the picture, but it is resting right on top of the gauges, and the bend in the mounting bars won't allow anything to go lower anyhow.

If there is another way of mounting it, let me know..

Thanks,
        Brian

Comment

Flip the clamps around so the little mounting knobs are on the bottom. The tilt of your windsheild should be the same angle as your forks too.

Comment

If I am guessing correctly that appears to be a Slipstreamer brand?

I don't really care for that style of mount, that is why I switched to the National Cycle PlexiFairing. Instead of clipping onto the handlebars and possibly rotating about the mounts if you don't get them tight enough, the PlexiFairing has two mounts on the bars and two mounts down on the fork legs, so it is MUCH more stable while in use.

I know you said you don't have the money to put into a new shield, but it's something to think about if you find yourself in the market.

Have you checked to see if you can slide the mounts a bit closer together? That would move them just a bit farther forward, maybe just enough to clear the gauges.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
              Flip the clamps around so the little mounting knobs are on the bottom. The tilt of your windsheild should be the same angle as your forks too.
              I see that now. Still not sure it will get below the gauges, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!!

****edit***
              Just went out with the intention of lowering the windscreen more and realized that it ain't getting any lower. It is just about touching the gauges. I also took another look at the angle of the windscreen and it's on exactly the same plane as the forks. (lucky guess for me the first time)

So I guess this is a good as it gets. Still happy with it, although I would like to get new screws and rubber inserts. Perhaps Slipstreamer has them availalble?
              Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

It's too late now but you could have drilled new holes in the shield to lower it. Then cut it down some. Looks like you did your best with what you had to work with. Good job, I like it.

Buddy
                09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                81 GS650G for the wife.
                82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                  It's too late now but you could have drilled new holes in the shield to lower it. Then cut it down some. Looks like you did your best with what you had to work with. Good job, I like it.

Buddy
                  Thanks!
                  It sure makes it nicer to ride!
                  Brian

Comment

If I am guessing correctly that appears to be a Slipstreamer brand?

I don't really care for that style of mount, that is why I switched to the National Cycle PlexiFairing. Instead of clipping onto the handlebars and possibly rotating about the mounts if you don't get them tight enough, the PlexiFairing has two mounts on the bars and two mounts down on the fork legs, so it is MUCH more stable while in use.

I know you said you don't have the money to put into a new shield, but it's something to think about if you find yourself in the market.

Have you checked to see if you can slide the mounts a bit closer together? That would move them just a bit farther forward, maybe just enough to clear the gauges.

That's great advice when it comes time to actually purchase a new windscreen. I'll take another look at getting the mount a bit more forward and lower. If not, I think I may have to take function over beauty at this point.
                    I really appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom and experience with me.
                    Brian

Comment

Working...
                    X