Bye, Bye Mr Floppy Ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye, Bye Mr Floppy Ears

I was never happy with the stock mirrors on my GS1000S. All I could see out back were my arms . Extenders helped a bit, though I could only really use about the outer third of the mirrors. Lately, the left one started flopping inward above 40mph, so I decided they had to go.

Browsing at Polo (a large German motorbike equipment store in Trier), I found at pair of generic mirrors that mounted right on. I would have preffered a slightly larger and more rounded shape, but they get the job done. The mounting bracket has almost the exact foot print of the stock mirrors, which makes them blend in nicely. Also, the supplied 6mm screws have slotted holes providing the right spacing without any modification.

Purists, forgive me, but I am happier (and safer) now that I can see what's coming up behind me.

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 04:50 AM.

Not a big fan of the look (aesthetically they stick out too far) but if you are going to have any mirrors at all, they are pointless if they don't allow adequate vision so, good call.

Comment

Phhhaaa.....bunch of girls, just make sure you are going faster than everyone else and you don't have to worry about mirrors and getting rear ended and such nonsense.

Seriously, good call, safety first, as has been said, pointless having those mirrors and looking super cool on your 100% original collectors piece, and then you get humped up the bum and get written off with your bike.
      I agree with Colin, good call.

Comment

Sporty ! I need something better for the EZ....
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Phhhaaa.....bunch of girls, just make sure you are going faster than everyone else and you don't have to worry about mirrors and getting rear ended and such nonsense.
          LOL, Reminded me of a scene from the Canonball Run movie, y'know, when the guy in the Ferrari rips off the rearview mirror, and tosses it overboard.

Comment

I like the mirrors...nice job..they dont look out of place to me..and if they are safer thats a big plus...thats a clean bike..sure do envy you guys with those Cooley reps...

DDM

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
              I like the mirrors...nice job..they dont look out of place to me..and if they are safer thats a big plus...thats a clean bike..sure do envy you guys with those Cooley reps...
              DDM
              Thanks DDM, been working on the bike since last fall - it's getting there. If you're interested, a replica of the Cooley look can still be made for not much cash. The fairings are still available and the rest is basically lower bars and paint.

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
                Thanks DDM, been working on the bike since last fall - it's getting there. If you're interested, a replica of the Cooley look can still be made for not much cash. The fairings are still available and the rest is basically lower bars and paint.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GS1000S...1#ht_500wt_897
                Skidmarx make those and they sell them a lot cheaper than everyone else. They do the screens at a decent price as well.

Jim, I couldn't find those mirrors - can you pop a link in to the exact page. I've got exactly the same problem that you had (elbows) and have been hunting for years for a bolt on.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Jim, I couldn't find those mirrors - can you pop a link in to the exact page. I've got exactly the same problem that you had (elbows) and have been hunting for years for a bolt on.
                  Sure, here goes:

After I bought mine at the store, I found in their catalog another model which offers a larger mirror area and that might be a better fit for the bike styling wise:

If you do order the 2nd one, post some pics so we can compare.

Good nite, all.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Hang me for it but i like the new ones better than stock

Comment

If your selling the stockers and noone has asked..mine please??
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I like em!
                        it looks good + better vision... nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Chuck, I'm not sure whether to sell them or keep them for when I resell the bike. In any event, shipping would be prohibitive from Europe, I think.
                          In the meantime, you might want to check this out:
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X