Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New allen bolts for the 1100, Can I cheat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New allen bolts for the 1100, Can I cheat ?

I've been looking at the bolts on the engine... some a little rusty, ratty looking.
    I've read where to get the bolt kits.
    Apparently dont use stainless on the engine ?
    I was wondering if it would be OK to take one bolt out, replace it with new shiny one.
    Take another bolt out, replace it , and on and on instead of pulling all of them at once and perhaps needing to replace gaskets, etc.
    Just being a little lazy I guess.
    Thanks

That's the way I did it on my old 650.Don't think there was kits to do it back then.If there was I didn't know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
      Apparently dont use stainless on the engine ?
      Lots of people do. If you do them one at a time it will cost you $100 in gas going back and forth to the hardware store. But it would be a good excuse to "exercise" the bike .

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Think he's saying get a kit.Take a bolt/screw out,replace then go to the next one.Stainless is fine where there's not allot of torque involved.Engine covers,carb screws and the like.Just be sure to use anti seize on them.

Comment

You can do that
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Did the same on my bike, no issue with leaking at all. Bought my kit from Z1 and would do so again.

Comment

I thought it would be OK to do it, but..
              Just wanted all your opinions on it.
              My wife thinks I'm crazy enough as it is, a bike ride for every bolt would amuse her no end.

Thanks

Comment

Z1 or find stainless cycle on ebay. I have priced them out for my build and stainless cycle was way,way,way, cheaper than buying from hardware stores or the like.

But if you are going that route I would pull them all out (one at a time) measure them all (one at a time) go buy them all then install the new stainless bolts (one at a time) still time consuming but only one trip to the store.

Comment

Hi,

I bought the bolt kit from Z1Enterprises.com. It's a very nice kit. I replaced the engine cover bolts (clutch cover, stator cover, etc.) one at a time, no leaks. I waited for my next valve adjustment to replace the valve cover bolts. One of the valve cover end cap bolts vibrated out. So I picked the shiniest bolt from the old set to replace it. Now I use thread sealer (NOT thread locker) on the valve cover and end cap bolts. Well, I use thread sealer on most fasteners that don't require thread locker.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The bolt kit from Z-1 is what I was looking at too.
                    Again, thanks, all of you for your input, incredible site !

Opps, gotta bolt

Comment

Originally posted by oldpara View Post
                      Opps, gotta bolt
                      Groan, good one
                      Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                      2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I cant remember the sellers name but I got a really nice kit for the 1000 off Ebay. Labled in little baggies.
                        If I recall it was around 35-40 bux including the carbs. Even included the starter cover
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                        X