dry ice dent removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry ice dent removal?

Painless, quick delivery of your domain name. Fast and professional service.

Does it work? i have dent in my tank. it looks like it would pop right out not creases or anything..

you can kinda see it here it where you leg would be on the back half of the right side of the tank

Tried a the trick using an inverted can of compressed air. I am not sure if got as cold as dry ice but its was bad enough to cause frostbite.

Did not work on a thin car body panel. I doubt if it could work on compound curves in heavier sheet metal.

Comment

that is the biggest load of carp i have heard, sorry but....
      place some ice (ok, dry ice. but its still cold ice) on your dent and watch it disappear!!!!
      watch the ice disappear as it melts in the sun and leaves a lovely fresh looking dent still in your tank!
      a small shallow dent like that you are better off trying the rubber sucker dent pullers
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax..go on you tube and watch the videos.It isnt just the ice..its a physical reaction between heat and cold...and it does work.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It most definitely works, I've done it.

I doubt very much that it would work on a tank. I understand that the gauge is thicker then what is used on car panels.

Try it and tell us.

Comment

it will work on a tank..in some cases it wont be absolutely perfect, but it will get a great majority out. If its still bugging you at that point, you can always bondo and reapint...but if youn have to do that anyways its just easier to skip the chemistry lessons and bondo it... just my perspectives.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Agemax..go on you tube and watch the videos.It isnt just the ice..its a physical reaction between heat and cold...and it does work.
              i just checked out the you tube videos and none of them showed any real proof without cutting the video all the way through and the bloke that says........quote"lmfao, I feel like such an ass for even saying this, but who in their right mind makes a 3:34 long video of how to remove a dent, and then at the end says, "well...this won't really work..."unquote really answers the question and then the guy says i will show you how to remove a dent with a hairdryer!
              come on guys get serious
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

OK..whatever. Get your glue on dent puller kit ( thats a friggin joke too) and pull what you can out..then strip the entire tank to bare metal. Bondo it and repaint it..thaqts basically your only alternative or live withn the dent.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  OK..whatever. Get your glue on dent puller kit ( thats a friggin joke too) and pull what you can out..then strip the entire tank to bare metal. Bondo it and repaint it..thaqts basically your only alternative or live withn the dent.
                  so the dry ice makes it perfect? no filling involved after the dry ice treatment at all?
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

It varies..depends on the dent..just like anything else. It will get a lot of it out. If you want perfect then youll have to do regualr ole body work on it..which was my point in the earlier post. It may or may not get it all out. Therefore if it doesnt, youve wasted your time and energy along with the money to buy the dry ice.. weigh the options and go with your best feeling.

Comment

The dry ice can only work perfectly if there are no creases in the metal.

Comment

I tried it using an inverted CO2 can and it didn't do squat.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                          The dry ice can only work perfectly if there are no creases in the metal.
                          I used it successfully on a 3 inch diameter dent in the side of the tank, but it was not real deep, probably a knee. I heated the area slightly with a hair dryer first (yes, the tank was empty and the cap was off). I then applied the dry ice. I actually had to repeat the process 3-4 times and overall, it took about 45 minutes but when I was done, I couldn't see the dent at all and the paint was fine. I would guess that if the dent is deep and/or on a crease, the result would not be real good. The adhesive dent puller also worked on a larger dent in a different tank, but you could still see the outline of the original dent. The metal gets deformed slightly when it is dented. As I understand it, the change in temperature with the heat and cold causes "metal memory" that restores the metal to the original form.

I'm not a physicist, but it did work for me. It does take some patience and a leather glove.

Comment

Wouldn't hurt to try, dry ice isn't very expensive. I know it works on some plastics, you can remove dents from canoes/kayaks by leaving them out in the sun. Since metal is stronger maybe it takes more of a temperature change. Might even try using a propane torch after you freeze it.

Comment

I did it 5 times on my truck which was 2 months off the show room floor after taking it thru jeep trails. It works if you do it right and take your time. An outward pressure works best while cooling it with the ice. I showed almost zero sign of a dent and let me tell you this dent was deep and BIG! About 2 feet long by 4 inches wide. A stump pressed into my bedside while most of the weight of my truck rested on it while moving forward.

Take your time and try different methods, type of metal plays a big part.

Comment

Working...
                              X