X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ill give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      i just checked out the you tube videos and none of them showed any real proof without cutting the video all the way through and the bloke that says........quote"lmfao, I feel like such an ass for even saying this, but who in their right mind makes a 3:34 long video of how to remove a dent, and then at the end says, "well...this won't really work..."unquote really answers the question and then the guy says i will show you how to remove a dent with a hairdryer!
      come on guys get serious
      It works, I've seen it done in person numerous times...

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      that is the biggest load of carp i have heard, sorry but....
      place some ice (ok, dry ice. but its still cold ice) on your dent and watch it disappear!!!!
      watch the ice disappear as it melts in the sun and leaves a lovely fresh looking dent still in your tank!
      a small shallow dent like that you are better off trying the rubber sucker dent pullers
      Ice =| Dry Ice - Their not the same thing in any way.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

On tanks, I have had success on a few occasions by putting compressed air in the tank. I just wrapped a rag around the air nozzle and stuck it in the tank. Again, this also won't work well with a crease. One of my 850G's has had a dent removed thic way though, and you would never know that it was there.

Where do you normally buy dry ice? I know where to get it in areas where there is a lot of commercial and sport fishing, but where do you get it in most of the country? It looks like a fun thing to try. My RD400 tank has a tank dent worth trying.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Large grocery stores and super Wal-Marts usually carry dry ice.

Comment

The principle is that when metal is heated, it expands. When metal is cooled, it contracts. Contraction is stronger than expansion. So if you rapidly cool the dent, the metal will pull on it's self and especially since you are cooling the outside and it has to transfer to the inside, it will pull it's self more taught. This will pull the dent out. If you do it too much and it is on a curve of the tank, you will end up with a flat spot.

What a lot of metal workers do, is heat the metal with a torch and when it's glowing, they hit it with water and it will flatten out unwanted dents. It's what they do on NAVY ships when building them. (yes I worked at a ship yard and have done it myself on a number of occasions so I am not just talking about what someone else has told me) The same principle will work if you use a hairdryer and some dry ice. Your first application may not work though, and you might have to try again.

The physics and theory is there. If you aren't able to get it to work yourself, then it is the application of these that has failed. IE: Operator error!

Comment

I can tell you from recent experience that it works. I had a small crease of a dent on my tank. It isn't supposed to work at all on creased dents, but it did give me some relief. It look like yours has a better chance of coming out than mine. I would try the dent pulling gadgets that use the glue, Pops-a-Dent is the one I tried recently with some success. I bought it at AutoZone for $20. Then, if anything is left, go with the ice. That's how I did it and they both gave me great results. Mine had a crease, so the methods didn't pull the dent out all the way. I wish you success.

Edit: I used a blow dryer to warm up the area first, and then I applied the dry ice.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2011, 02:34 PM. Reason: Last sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

Where do you normally buy dry ice?

I've bought in the past at a welding supply place that fills tanks.

Comment

I think im gonna tryu this soon aon my car and bike lol.. my car has a little dent i dont like

Comment

Looks like I'll get a chance to try it soon. Was carrying a bungee strapped tool kit back from the store for my son's birthday. The strap got away from me when I tool it off the bike and it launched over and put two very small dents in the tank (large plastic hook). Glad I used urethane paint, not even a scuff there, but being black the dents stand out at certain angles.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

remember that youll have to do the process several times and be as patient as you can be..
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I used it again this weekend in conjuction with an adhesive puller. I also found that after I heated up the area around the dent, if I peened it lightly all the way around the "crater" with a nylon mallet, it seemed to help the dent rise more quickly when I applied the dry ice. My hypothesis is that the metal that gets most deformed when you get a dent is the metal right around the outside edges. The real goal is to get that metal to respond to the temperature change and if you "flatten" it slightly while it is warm, then apply the cold, it allows for a more rapid movement. It didn't impact the paint at all and seemed to speed up the process.

That said, the dent was on a convex area of the tank and although there was a huge cosmetic improvement, it was still noticeable after 2 hours of effort. The law of dimishing returns got the better of me and I packed it in. I don't know that it would have ever been "perfect".

On the other hand, I had three beers before I started, so your own results may vary.

Comment

Got some dryice for that burn!?

Comment

Has anyone ever watched paintless dent removal, being done? I have many times and the peening with the hammer, the glue gun and puller, and the pressure from behind are ALL used in paintless dent removal.

When repairing stretched sheet metan on a vehicle, I use an oxy/acetylene torch with the smallest tip and heat the metal to just below blue (you see orange or red...TOO HOT) and with a rag and cold water, can shrink "dents" the size of a dinner plate. MANY MANY small heat/cold apps and the steel tightens right back up. If done correctly, no body filler is needed. Watch a real body man (65-75 years old) do this and you quickly learn just how much the autobody repair industry has gotten weak, over the years.

Comment

Well i didnt try heating the area.. just left it in the sun.. and no luck on 4 dents.. 2 on one car 1 on the bike and 1 on another car..

Comment

Originally posted by Im Faster View Post
                                Well i didnt try heating the area.. just left it in the sun.. and no luck on 4 dents.. 2 on one car 1 on the bike and 1 on another car..
                                Is the tank empty?
                                I have used the Ding King glue type puller with very good results. Seems like a good tool for this type of job.

Comment

Working...
                                X