Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using spray in bedliner as tank and fender paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using spray in bedliner as tank and fender paint.

Hear me out.

It's durable as hell, and is exactly the flat black that I want. It will hide any imperfections that my metal might have and it's permanent. Has anyone seen this done? I think it will look great and be unique.

What would be the best way to tape off the gas tank filler hole and petcock mount? I was thinking taping it off with painters tape and newspaper/card board, spraying off the tank and then removing the tape when it's dry, scuffing it up and hitting with some good primer.

Thoughts on this idea?

Here's how it looks:

Here's what I think...

Comment

Rat bike...
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        I have that bike now, and I'm really getting to like the durability of the bed liner. The PO used Duplicolor liner that is applied with a special roller. The loops on the roller make the texture. I don't think he did any masking at all. If I had a chance to do it over, I would find a way to keep the tank and side cover badges. I'm also experimenting (very intermittently) with ways to alter the texture to create a two-tone cosmetic effect.

The picture of the sprayed on liner looks like a smoother, more even finish. I would think that masking would be the same as for ordinary paint.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          Eh....not sure if I like it now that I've seen it. I envisioned the texture being smaller and it being a flatter black. I'll have to look around and see what there available.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Rat bike...

Kinda what my bike is

I want if trunk paint would be a better alternative?

:EDIT:

I know what I'll do, I'll think I'll do the insides of my fenders with it, as a way to test it...I also have some spare metal I could probably test it on as well.

I think his flash is making it look way different than it really is...I'll have to see it in person, or find some pictures where the person knows how to photograph this sort of thing.

:EDIT:

I found this photobucket album from that thread that Adler posted, it looks damn good in this pic:

Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

You can find more artless pics of mine in this thread. As I mentioned in the earlier post, this is DupliColor roll-on, so it will have a different appearance than sprayed-on liner. I would definitely recommend getting a look at samples before applying something so nearly irreversible.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

You might also try out some spray on "krinkle" paint. Textured, but not as much as bedliner I think.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I have posted that in tips and tricks quite a while ago.. i have been doing that for years.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  You might also try out some spray on "krinkle" paint. Textured, but not as much as bedliner I think.
                  I just bought some Rustoleum "Hammer Tone" paint. It simulates the metal being hammered. Covers up alot of sins. And it shines really nice! Just painted the wheels on my 750. Sure as hell beats the yellow that was on them...

Comment

Go ask Flaming Chainsaws what he thinks of bedliner as a finish for a bike.Do you want to be that PO?

Comment

So what was chainsaws problem?? Couldnt get it off with a jack hammer?? LMAO
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        Go ask Flaming Chainsaws what he thinks of bedliner as a finish for a bike.Do you want to be that PO?
                        Well, considering I'm not concerned with what the next person might think of my bike, it's not a concern for me. I'm not building this bike to sell.

I'm not the type of person who sells things I've put a lot of work into.

I've already done the front fender, and I like how it came out.

I'm using the cheap stuff anyways. I already spot removed it with aircraft stripper, so I know it will come off with a little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                          Well, considering I'm not concerned with what the next person might think of my bike, it's not a concern for me. I'm not building this bike to sell.

I'm not the type of person who sells things I've put a lot of work into.

I've already done the front fender, and I like how it came out.

I'm using the cheap stuff anyways. I already spot removed it with aircraft stripper, so I know it will come off with a little effort.
                          Lots of people say that.Not saying you will or won't just thinking of the NO.Think chainsaw has found a way to get it off the metal as well.But the plastics are still a challange.His is a 83 1100,fair amount of plastic there.

Comment

Bedline is a damned con game.
                            Anyone here recall the cool hardwood beds of ancient times?
                            I personally think a truck is a work tool and that a stock painted bed is beautiful wven with a diesel saturated 4x8 sheet of plywood in it.

Why anyone would spoil the look of a truck or ( god forbid and punish it mercilessly ) a motorcycle is beyond comprehension.

I was thinking of poor flamingchainsaws and his plight. The stuff is the liquid equal to a sawzall and a momentary flash of artistic delusion.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                              Bedline is a damned con game.
                              Anyone here recall the cool hardwood beds of ancient times?
                              I personally think a truck is a work tool and that a stock painted bed is beautiful wven with a diesel saturated 4x8 sheet of plywood in it.

Why anyone would spoil the look of a truck or ( god forbid and punish it mercilessly ) a motorcycle is beyond comprehension.

I was thinking of poor flamingchainsaws and his plight. The stuff is the liquid equal to a sawzall and a momentary flash of artistic delusion.
                              So you don't really like the idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X