GS1000S mirrors redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S mirrors redux

I am a noobie to this board. After driving a 1979 GS1000 for 22 years I just acquired a 1980 GS1000S. I am happy as the proverbial clam BUT as others have noted, the stock fairing mirrors on the S suck. Also I snapped the right mirror clean off the stem trying to "fix" a refusal to stay in place problem. (although I try hard, I am not very handy with the tools, actually what is the opposite of a wenchhead, cause that's me) So, I desperately need 2 fairing mirrors that actually show you what is behind you. (For strictly cosmetic reasons I do not want to use handlebar mirrors) A search of the GSR forums shows 2 possibilities:

GSXR 600-1000 mirror from 01 or 02 with modifications.

Ken Sean universal fairing mounted mirror from the Dennis Kirk website.

Before I send away for either of these options I was hoping someone(s) who have tried them could impart some wisdom. FINALLY my questions.

For anybody who has used the GSXR mirror what are the modifications needed. No being good with tools I want to be sure I can make said mods before sending away for these (none of my local Suzuki dealers have them in stock)

For those who have the Ken Sean mirrors, the website currently shows mirrors that mount vertically on the fairing, instead of horizontally. The mirrors do not look like they can twist 90 degrees or if they can they don't look like they would sit right, but maybe I am just to dumb to figure it out.

Can anybody who has tried either (or both) of these mirrors help. Thanks,

Mark

Mine Work just fine. Seriously, have you considered bar mount mirrors? These days I'm into function over form. The mirrors just have to work, bad mirrors are a danger. I suppose you could have a bracket made that would bolt onto the fairing and be tapped for the bolt pattern of a larger mirror of that style. I have been toying with a similar bracket so I could use the mirror mounting points for driving lights. I thought I read in a post not long ago about mirrors that could be made to fit easily, but weren't a perfect fit.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I saw some on Ebay from one of the newer GS500F models that looked like they would fit well on my Cooley.
      They are just a little longer and should be a lot more useful than the stock short ones.

Daniel

Comment

Whats wrong with bar mirrors on S?

Comment

Sharpy, sweet looking bike! I LOVE that giant oil cooler, what is it from?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Sharpy, sweet looking bike! I LOVE that giant oil cooler, what is it from?

Daniel
            From the bank manager. Full Earls setup. And thats my red and white bike photoshopped. Just thought i put a differnt pic up, IF u have seen it have a look in here for pics and vids. And magazine scans of GS/GSX and efe

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Your's is the one with all of the Youtube video's of wheelies.

Daniel

Comment

Sharpy nothing wrong with bar mirrors on the S, yours look fine, just not what I wanted. By the way, you aftermarket turn signals look much better then the originals, what are they?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Your's is the one with all of the Youtube video's of wheelies.

Daniel
                  No if ure a cop. Leave it at that lol

Comment

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
                    Sharpy nothing wrong with bar mirrors on the S, yours look fine, just not what I wanted. By the way, you aftermarket turn signals look much better then the originals, what are they?

Mark
                    Aftermarket turn signals????????????? Dont think so bucko. All ridgy didge body wise execpt the fairing is another one painted. Original one is locked away.

Comment

As far as I've ever seen the turn signals on the GS1000S have been the plastic chrome round amber lens type that you find on most GS1000 models of the 78-80 era. The picture below, of what I assume is your bike, has black rectangular turn signals. Were those ever stock, and if so, on which years?

Comment

Most GSX1100 have them. GS in ure neck of the woods. Over here 79 model had round ind, clock in the dash, no rearsets, no slots in the discs and no step in the seat.

Comment

The Yanks only had one body style of the S model. Yes, there were differences between the SN and the ST (clocks, seat, rearsets, pipes, carbs, head etc) but at a quick glance the casual observer would think they were the same.

In the rest of the world there were a lot of variations which included colour (we had red ones as well as blue), paint style (as per the US version and as per Sharpy's), carbs (2 sizes of VM as well as CVs), 2 types of indicator, 2 wheel colours, various seats and a few other things. All standard.

BTW Sharpy, the blue looks good. You'll have to get another body kit and get the paintbrush out.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                            BTW Sharpy, the blue looks good. You'll have to get another body kit and get the paintbrush out.
                            Actually i hate the blue and i think a black engine only goes with red bodywork. Just posted it here for some comments. Not the right colour blue but any deeper the reflection went missing. Just playing around with photoshop i was. thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by macbec29 View Post
                              I am a noobie to this board. After driving a 1979 GS1000 for 22 years I just acquired a 1980 GS1000S. I am happy as the proverbial clam BUT as others have noted, the stock fairing mirrors on the S suck. Also I snapped the right mirror clean off the stem trying to "fix" a refusal to stay in place problem. (although I try hard, I am not very handy with the tools, actually what is the opposite of a wenchhead, cause that's me) So, I desperately need 2 fairing mirrors that actually show you what is behind you. (For strictly cosmetic reasons I do not want to use handlebar mirrors) ...........
                              Mark
                              Had the same problem, the stock mirrors kept drooping in the wind and couldn't see beans out of 'em even when they stayed put. I've tried a couple of different universal mirrors from Polo Motorrad in Germany and of the 2 these were the best. Nice flat black rubberized finish and good visibility (no vibration):

I also tried this model, but in the end I concluded they were a bit too narrow and I didn't like the glossy outer finish:

Both mirrors use 6mm bolts that mount right up to the Cooley fairing WITH NO MODIFICATION. By the way, if you go with my preferred option, be sure you specify a LEFT and a RIGHT mirror and get them in black (schwarz) in the option section.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2011, 03:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X