SlipStream Turbo S05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SlipStream Turbo S05

I am looking for anyone who has tried or currently has the slipstream turbo S05 windshield/fairing. How is it working for you? It looks to be the next step up (as far as wind protection) from the spitfire.

Thanks!
    Rick

Well, I got the Slipstream Turbo S05 in the mail today from DK and I like it. It went on easy. It's just a bit bigger than the Spitfire and I really like the better hand coverage. The plexiglass is thicker than the spitfire and I like how it mounts in four places. It seems WAY more solid than the spitfire.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Ryonker. I have been thinking about this one as well for next winter. Please let me know how it feels during a drive okay?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Thanks Ryonker. I have been thinking about this one as well for next winter. Please let me know how it feels during a drive okay?
        I will gladly report back after a ride. I am going on an all day ride next weekend with some of the guys on the forum.

Comment

On my 850GL I use a Plexifairing 3 for early spring and late fall riding.

If I were to get a new one it'd be the Plexifairing GT.

Both are from National Cycle.

Comment

I finally got to road test the slipstream Turbo SS05 last Saturday. Dantheman, Tlepac and myself drove about 400 miles around northern MN. Simply said, I love the windshield . It made the ride very comfortable. The mounting system is rock solid. The height is perfect for me as I had no wind buffeting my head.

The only modification I made was to add a thin rubber washer to the mount that goes on the inside of the windshield. For some reason, on this model, there is only one rubber washer that comes with it and it mounts on the outside of the windshield.

You can buy this windshield for about $130 and I highly recommend it!

Rick

Comment

How is the wind noise with this? I have an older windscreen similar to a Spitfire on my GR650. Can't seem to find the sweet spot for minimum wind noise. If I replace it I am looking for better hand protection as it is way too cold in early / late season riding.

Comment

A big word of warning.With these types of handle bar mounted big screens you need to be very careful with winds, especially gusts, coming from your beam and or rear quarter (side or back corner) to use nautical terms. These screens can act like a sail and if they catch you from these angles can exert enough force to pull the bars from your grasp or turn the wheel sending you in directions you may not want to go.

In my first season of riding I had one mounted on my XS400 Yammie. It was a lovely sunny but really gusty fall day and I was riding on a fairly heavily travelled 2 lane in the country. One minute I'm fine enjoying the sights and smells, the next I'm right in the oncoming lane with a car bearing down on me about 1000 yards away. Luckily I got it back under control but I needed a change of drawers when I got home.

I found somewhat the same problem on the highway especially when being passed by a large semi and trailer. The pressure wave as it comes up on you will push you off your straight course. Unnerving to say the least.

The small screens may not be as effective in keeping wind off you but overall I'd say they are safer.

Just something to think on.

cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

I have this windscreen. It attached to the bars and the blinkers. It fits nice and snug to the windshield and provides good protection from the wind. I originally attached it to the headlight bolts but did not like the way it sat. When I moved it to the blinker bolts I had to bend the mounts a bit but not much. I have ridden with it installed for about 1000 miles now and have had zero problems.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                    On my 850GL I use a Plexifairing 3 for early spring and late fall riding.

If I were to get a new one it'd be the Plexifairing GT.

Both are from National Cycle.
                    Interesting the last windshield is the one that I have on the GS 1100 LT and has been on my 919 and works well on both.
                    V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      A big word of warning.With these types of handle bar mounted big screens you need to be very careful with winds, especially gusts, coming from your beam and or rear quarter (side or back corner) to use nautical terms. These screens can act like a sail and if they catch you from these angles can exert enough force to pull the bars from your grasp or turn the wheel sending you in directions you may not want to go.

In my first season of riding I had one mounted on my XS400 Yammie. It was a lovely sunny but really gusty fall day and I was riding on a fairly heavily travelled 2 lane in the country. One minute I'm fine enjoying the sights and smells, the next I'm right in the oncoming lane with a car bearing down on me about 1000 yards away. Luckily I got it back under control but I needed a change of drawers when I got home.

I found somewhat the same problem on the highway especially when being passed by a large semi and trailer. The pressure wave as it comes up on you will push you off your straight course. Unnerving to say the least.

The small screens may not be as effective in keeping wind off you but overall I'd say they are safer.

Just something to think on.

cheers,
                      Spyug
                      Interesting observation, but I'm afraid I can't quite agree with you.

It might be in the setup, but I have never had such a problem.

I started with a similar windshield (Slipstreamer) on a KZ400. Got another one for my KZ650. Moved that one to my KZ1300 until the BIG frame-mounted fairing came in from the dealer. My wife's bike came with a Plexifairing 2, we have since changed it to a PF3, like the one in the picture. I have engaged the throttle lock while passing a truck and removed my hands from the grips (but kept them VERY close) and barely felt the difference at the front of the truck. Yeah, the whole bike gets blown around in crosswinds, but I have never felt that the "bars were ripped out of my hands".

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X