PitReplica seat cover installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PitReplica seat cover installed

My seat recovering process has been an adventure. I started with this cover...

And this pan...

I decided to go the way of repairing the pan and after a lot of bashing and cursing this was the result...

I shaped and riveted new metal in place where the edge of the old pan had lost its form...

In order to fasten the cover to the pan I needed some new tabs for the material to hold on to. The previous tabs had mostly rusted away. I used these...

The whole thing is covered in rust paint in garish orange. I kind of like the idea of using surprising colors where no one will ever see it.

The new cover, custom made for free from PitReplica. It is now available for purchase from their ebay store.

I covered the foam with a disposable table cloth to add some water resistance...

Injury #1, proof that this counts as wrenching. (This happened more then once)

I pulled the cover over the edge and pushed the sharp tines through all around. Then I bashed the tines flat. No pictures of that because I was busy.

Here is the finished product...

It is not perfect, a little askew as can be seen here...

One of the seams ripped very slightly on one of the edges, I think it was my fault for pulling too hard, I may yet repair that.

Pictures of the seat on the bike to follow when I have the chance.

Comment

Over all, thouugh, would you say they copied the patterns and placement of the seams corectly??
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Over all, thouugh, would you say they copied the patterns and placement of the seams corectly??
        I WOULD say so, though the heat pressed seams will never look quite the same as the true sewed seams. I was pretty impressed that they heat pressed the suzuki logo into the back like the original.

Comment

Well as you know, I have just sent the 78 1000 E seat and they are gonna make me my free one for the skunk project..This review make me feel good about it all..
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Won't having that plastic on the foam under the cover make your butt sweat?
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Won't having that plastic on the foam under the cover make your butt sweat?
              I do not believe the vinyl is breathable so having another not breathable layer shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

I'm glad I went with Pit Replica for my '79 GS1000E seat. It was a much easier to install than what I expected and it turned out very well indeed I think.

sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  I'm glad I went with Pit Replica for my '79 GS1000E seat. It was a much easier to install than what I expected and it turned out very well indeed I think.

That seat cover looks great! I'm going to have to find them on ebay for sure. Thanks for posting.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                  X