Scotchbrite and aluminimum question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    Yeah, the best idea I have had is Ceramic at Rocket Cermacoat. The best idea I can get from their price list is about $150 for the pair. The original finish was easily scratched. I don't know how durable ceramics are. I guess there is always barbecue paint.
    Those ceramic coats are supposed to be good.Have a link to them? Second thought I'll Google it,if you link to that would be nice.

Comment

Here is the link
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Thanks,was looking a while back but couldn't find one.Think I'll ask my friend if there's a place on the Island doing it.Doubt it but.....
        Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I agree that those gouges will take starting with 80 or 100 grit to remove. I would just like to pass along a tip I got from a guy who polishes aluminum for a living. Once you have a nice smooth, uniform surface wet sanding with anything above 400 grit is a waste of time (on aluminum). Once you have prepped the surface with 400 grit, just go strait to a cloth wheel and a good quality polishing compound.

Comment

White Scotch-Brite

Hi, I am no Scotch-Brite expert, but; there are several different types of Scotch-Brite, each with a different purpose. The type found at auto parts stores are similar to sandpaper. Which is useful if you want to take off the surface. It will scratch though (like sandpaper or steel wool). The green scotchbrite, often used in kitchens, will dull most finishes as well. There is also blue - less abrasive yet. Now if you have badly tarnished or dull aluminum or chrome, use White Scotch-Brite, with your favorite metal polish. It's more abrasive than a cloth or most buffing wheels, but it will not scratch. Even safe for glass.
            I did a quick search, technically known as: 3M 98 Scotch-Brite Light-Duty Cleansing Pad
            Not cheep, and they do wear out quickly. But I like them for many applications.

PS I agree with GS Jim. Those gouges it the original post will take something like 100 grit, but then you will have to buff it to get rid of the sanded look.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X