Making another cafe seat, this time using a plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making another cafe seat, this time using a plug

Ive been working on a new seat shape for my GS1K cafe. I have it modeled out of clay right now and Im ready to start the next step. Whats the best way to cover the clay? I was thinking:

Mask the entire seat.
    Cover the masking with aluminum foil tape
    Few layers of wax on top of the foil
    Start laying some fiberglass

The plan is to use the clay plug to make a quick mold. Then Im going to coat the inside with the aluminum tape, wax, and lay some fiberglass cloth to get a fiberglass version of the clay mold so I can keep the proportions that I have right now and just clean it up with some bondo and then make a final mold.

Does that sound about right? Suggestions?

Don't use alu foil. To many wrinkles. Let the clay set. Cover it with painters tape (the green stuff the blue stuff doesn't seal as well on the edges) wax the crap out of the tape. I think you're gonna want to make a two piece mould though. Unless maybe you make it a big block and then cut it and the plug in half with a bandsaw or something. Then you could drill set holes to run dowel rods into to hold the halves together during the glass laying process. You'll want to try to source some gel coat to lay down as a base coat into the mould so that the outside of the finished product is smooth and ready for paint.

Comment

I covered my foam plug with good 'ol fashioned duct tape and it turned out, kept the resin from hitting the foam and destroying it. I am not sure what resin would do to clay though.

Very cool so far

Comment

Working...
      X