No announcement yet.

Thoughts on cafe seat/tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Colin. Only problem is that they are expensive as heck when you find them.

Starboard- check out some tanks from other Suzuki's as well. Some of the older GT tanks make great cafe style tanks, along with some non-L GS tanks. And the only reason I say Suzuki tanks is that they generally swap easier (similar tunnel shapes, width, etc).

Comment

How about this for a cheap tank off a Zook GT550 for $29.

Take a hammer to it to create a couple of big flat panels on the sides and cafe to go.

Add a bit of padding to shape/fill in the seat and Voila

Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post

Take a hammer to it to create a couple of big flat panels on the sides and cafe to go.

That looks pretty good. I think Im to scared to do knee dents, but maybe Ill practice on my L tank before doing it to another one.

Took the cover off my stock seat, and tomorrow Ill see if I can shape it.

Comment

Did you check out the auction. It's only $30 and resides in Spokane (where ever the heck that is)

As for the denting of the tank, just take it slow and gentle using small taps with a ballpen hammer and you will be sweet.

There are quite a few GT 380 and 550 tanks for sale at the moment and a couple of RE5 tanks (pity the bikes have died cause they are real cool).
          Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Spokane is in eastern Washington state. Starboard, you might want to put your location in your profile so you can get better assistance from us.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Im slightly concerned about that tank not having a cap, or a way to lock it. I currently live in an apartment, so no garage that I can lock the bike in. Im less worried about stealing gas as I am someone dumping sugar into the tank. Although, I guess on a bike that isnt as big a deal as it would be on a car.

I could have sworn I had my location in my profile. My mistake.

Comment

Can email the seller for the dimensions of the filler hole. Than compare them to your current cap.

Fwiw, the locking cap on my GR fits the GS450 tank I have.

Comment

Drew up a quick sketch of what the seat pan will look like. Measurements are guesstimations, so the proportions are off, but you get the general idea.

Holes are dimpled. Far side you can see my seat catch "catches" that reuse the stock mounts. The "handle" is the structure for the tail fiberglass, as well as the opening for the battery to slide into place.

Seat will be held on with Velcro, so you can pull it off if you need to get to the battery.

Sketch Up was not co operating with me (user error Im sure), so its not a full structure, but the shape Im kind of going for. Rough, and not exact, but again, just getting an idea.

Comment

Now you're talking.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I like the First and Last photos.

Those are all bobbers.
                      I actually like that look....kinda different than everything you see.

I used to think they were ugly, and they are....but it's got a raw-stripped feel about it....I just like it!
                      it's just got a rebelious look!

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        I like the First and Last photos.

Those are all bobbers.
                        I actually like that look....kinda different than everything you see.

I used to think they were ugly, and they are....but it's got a raw-stripped feel about it....I just like it!
                        it's just got a rebelious look!
                        Well, if you know me you would have said that exact same thing about me. Different, ugly, and raw. But maybe not so rebellious.

In the back of my mind I really kind of liked the flat seat, and really questioned my ability to make a cafe seat.

But after now seeing Billy T's cafe, Im hooked. I hated the huge headlight, and liked the low look, and the simplicity of a flat seat is perfect for me.
                        Tell me this doesnt look amazing

Comment

What about incorporating an oem rear tailpiece into the cafe seat? I'm no fiberglass expert but would think it wouldnt be too tough...

DDM

Comment

Originally posted by Starboard M View Post
                            Well, if you know me you would have said that exact same thing about me. Different, ugly, and raw. But maybe not so rebellious.

In the back of my mind I really kind of liked the flat seat, and really questioned my ability to make a cafe seat.

But after now seeing Billy T's cafe, Im hooked. I hated the huge headlight, and liked the low look, and the simplicity of a flat seat is perfect for me.
                            Tell me this doesnt look amazing

I like it!!! Looks badass!

Im glad you got your seat done. I'm about to tackle the same look.

If you have any pics or tips of the procedure, you should send 'em to me!
                            I'm not really an "upholstery" guy, so this is a first for me.

Comment

OK. It does not look amazing.

It's more bobber than cafe. In fact I don't see any cafe in it at all, just an incomplete bobber

Just as well it doesn't have a front guard. Doesn't look like there is any room for fork/wheel travel. Is it rideable?
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                                I like it!!! Looks badass!

Im glad you got your seat done. I'm about to tackle the same look.

If you have any pics or tips of the procedure, you should send 'em to me!
                                I'm not really an "upholstery" guy, so this is a first for me.
                                OK. It does not look amazing.

It's more bobber than cafe. In fact I don't see any cafe in it at all, just an incomplete bobber

Just as well it doesn't have a front guard. Doesn't look like there is any room for fork/wheel travel. Is it rideable?
                                Didnt mean to mislead you guys. Thats not my bike, thats BillyT's.
                                Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

I like the look. Its almost a streetfighter/cafe, with a dark side.

Comment

Working...
                                X