No announcement yet.

Thoughts on cafe seat/tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in process of doing a Brat-ish 750 "L" but have a cafe'ed out CB. True enough that the "L" tank shape doesn't lend itself well to the cafe lines, but if your '79s frame back bone is like mine, you may need to get some dimensions on a replacement tanks tunnel before you buy. My bike came with a spare GS850 tank that had an awesome shape but would have required major mods to fit. Even though it had the single rear mounting hole (newer models have two) it was just too darn narrow in the tunnel to fit our double tube frame. So I sold it to fund the build.

As far as the seat goes, you are on the right track but I think your rear bumstop (hump) will need to be larger to fit the battery and electricals. You could build a tray and mount it under the seat if you like that design. Also you can get a gell cell battery and you can position it any way you like, even upside down... smaller dimensions that have the same Amp-hour rating are also available.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
      I am in process of doing a Brat-ish 750 "L" but have a cafe'ed out CB. True enough that the "L" tank shape doesn't lend itself well to the cafe lines, but if your '79s frame back bone is like mine, you may need to get some dimensions on a replacement tanks tunnel before you buy. My bike came with a spare GS850 tank that had an awesome shape but would have required major mods to fit. Even though it had the single rear mounting hole (newer models have two) it was just too darn narrow in the tunnel to fit our double tube frame. So I sold it to fund the build.

As far as the seat goes, you are on the right track but I think your rear bumstop (hump) will need to be larger to fit the battery and electricals. You could build a tray and mount it under the seat if you like that design. Also you can get a gell cell battery and you can position it any way you like, even upside down... smaller dimensions that have the same Amp-hour rating are also available.
      Yep, from my understanding the L frame differs than other models and some tanks wont fit. I think for now I will be keeping this tank, and plan to change it in the future. I wish I had a welder here, otherwise I would just make my own tank.

Im going to move the battery down to the swing arm. I bought a AGM battery thats smaller than the stock one, or at least it was a lot smaller than the Walmart POS that was in the bike when I got it.

Electronics are going on a tray that mounts with the stock battery mounts, and is pretty well hidden from the side.

The seat pan will be cut out tomorrow and hopefully I can make some things happen.

Comment

Working...
      X