Original Aluminum Swingarm Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Aluminum Swingarm Finish

I polished the swingarm and footpeg brackets on my GS1100ED. Now I've decided that it just doesn't look right . What's the original finish on these parts? Was it paint or something?

On my 81 1100e it's just raw, satin aluminun finish, nothin fancy.

Comment

If your looking for a factory type finish, wet sand with 600 grit and finish it off with fine steel wool or a brillo pad.

EDIT - unless it's anodized.
      Last edited by Tom R; 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM.
      -1980 GS1100 LT
      -1975 Honda cb750K
      -1972 Honda cl175
      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
        I polished the swingarm and footpeg brackets on my GS1100ED. Now I've decided that it just doesn't look right . What's the original finish on these parts? Was it paint or something?
        I think it's anodized. It's on there too good to be anything else.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Have another look at the pics of my '80E, the swingarm and footpeg mounts are polished to a high lustre. You'll hardly see that when all the other bits (exhaust, side panels, engine) are reinstalled, my recommendation is to keep em that way. All that elbow grease shouldn't go to waste

Comment

Now that you have it polished, coat it with a clear matte finish paint.
            Epoxy-type.

Daniel

Comment

As mentioned, it's an anodized finish. A "brushed" finish with clear coat might be a reasonable alternative at this point since we assume the anodize is all removed. Using a gray scotchbrite pad, rubbing in one direction only, usually looks pretty nice.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do something different but subtle. Use some 220 and grain it length wise and then use an epoxy clear coat to seal it.

Comment

Any epoxy I've worked with yellows in the sun.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

So this thing is anodized? I was somehow able to polish it....

It looks like this. As you can see, on the left of the swingarm, there is still some of the original finish left on it.

Comment

As someone said, all that polishing shouldn't go to waste. I recommend you trade with me for a clean, unpolished swing arm. Have several.

I'm such a great humanitarian!

Comment

So this thing is anodized? I was somehow able to polish it....

It looks like this. As you can see, on the left of the swingarm, there is still some of the original finish left on it.
                        Did you do this by hand?
                        It looks nice and if you put this much effort into it then get some silicon carbide paper and finish the job. You can make that thing look like a mirror.
                        It would be far nicer than stock. They do the brushed finish to save time and money not for any aesthetic reasons.
                        It is nice to see your 450 work ethic spill over to the larger bike.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          Did you do this by hand?
                          It looks nice and if you put this much effort into it then get some silicon carbide paper and finish the job. You can make that thing look like a mirror.
                          It would be far nicer than stock. They do the brushed finish to save time and money not for any aesthetic reasons.
                          It is nice to see your 450 work ethic spill over to the larger bike.
                          Yeah, it's done by hand. I use Mother's polish and an old t-shirt for all of my polishing (I'm cheap).

I polished the swingarm when it's still installed on the bike so ONLY the sides are polished. I'm gonna look up some pics of members bikes to help me decide .

Comment

I'm gonna look up some pics of members bikes to help me decide .
                            Check out RenoBruce's work.

Comment

Powder coat light gray

Comment

Working...
                              X