DOT Mirrors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOT Mirrors?

I was looking at this package for clubmans, grips and mirrors on eBay.

The description mentions that the mirrors are "not D.O.T. approved." I know about DOT standards for helmets. What does that mean for mirrors though, and where might I find info on whether that should be a deal-killer?

TIA

Update: I found the fed standards

They state:

S10. Requirements for motorcycles. S10.1 Each motorcycle shall have either a mirror of unit magnification with not less than 8065 mm2 of reflective surface, or a convex mirror with not less than 6450 mm2 of reflective surface and an average radius of curvature not less than 508 mm and not greater than 1524 mm, installed with a stable support, and mounted so that the horizontal center of the reflective surface is at least 279 mm outward of the longitudinal centerline of the motorcycle. The mirror shall be adjustable by tilting in both the horizontal and vertical directions.
    I guess a 76mm (3") circle is too small for DOT, since that provides only 4300mm2 of area.

Now to find out whether that matters for state inspections in Illinois . . .
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2011, 12:11 PM.

A little advice to anyone with non-DOT turn signals, mirrors, headlight, etc... become a good customer and friend of your local custom chopper shop. Those guys will pass pretty much anything.

I get my bike insepcted at one of those places, have since 2002. Funny thing though, my bike has never physically been on his property. I just walk in, hand him $20 and my registration and he hands me a sticker. Put it in my pocket and I'm good to go.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Or take it to your local car dealership. I take all my bikes to the local Chevy house, they just look at the brake lights and blinkers and give me a sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        Now to find out whether that matters for state inspections in Illinois . . .
        Probably not....

Since we don't have state inspections in Illinois....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS750 View Post
          Or take it to your local car dealership. I take all my bikes to the local Chevy house, they just look at the brake lights and blinkers and give me a sticker.
          I only take mine to motorcycle dealerships for the inspection, I found that if you take it anywhere but a dealership the idiots that do the inspections think that it is their right and part of their job to get on the bike and ride it so they can "check the brakes" before they issue a sticker, they refused to issue the sticker because I wouldn't allow them to ride. Now I go straight to the dealer and it's taken care of in a matter of minutes.
          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

The bike dealer I tried, (major dealership in SA) told me they needed to ride it. Our local car dealer really doesn't want to have anything to do with motorcycles, so they get out the door quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Probably not....

Since we don't have state inspections in Illinois....
              I was just gonna say "What state inspections?" I haven't come across any documentation requiring me to get my bike inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                I was just gonna say "What state inspections?" I haven't come across any documentation requiring me to get my bike inspected.
                We don't have that in Taxconsin either, only because they haven't discovered an untapped source of revenue.

Comment

Unless you get a super anal inspector, I doubt to many of them will be measuring your mirrors unless thier really small. I'd say most will just check to see that you have mirrors.

Comment

My state only requires 1 mirror on all bikes.
                    And if it's made before 80, no mirrors required.

We don't even have motorcycle inspections anymore in NJ.

Police aren't interested in bikes here, we're invisible! hehe.

Comment

The Police State of New York

Clearly none of you live in New York. In many small towns the police will have random check points specifically looking for inspection stickers. It's a great source of revenue for them! Then, of course, there are the many speed traps, if you are not inspected, it's a double ticket.
                      As for the mirror question, I only know that my OEM round mirrors have never been questioned.

Comment

From my home state, Va. to Sc and beyond. I havent found a single cop that was wanting to check for size of a mirror. If you have the basics on the bike, i.e. a mirror, brakes, seat and so on, youre golden.

Comment

Originally posted by karllmt View Post
                          Clearly none of you live in New York. In many small towns the police will have random check points specifically looking for inspection stickers.
                          I have been here since the first of June, and, except for the "enhanced awareness" around the time of Americade, I haven't seen a random inspection (yet).

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I have been here since the first of June, and, except for the "enhanced awareness" around the time of Americade, I haven't seen a random inspection (yet).

The key word there is random. You just never know when one will be set up. But, with those Ohio plates, you're safe.

Comment

Follow up question. I keep forgetting to take measurements for the handle bars, but it seems that clubmans come in a single standard size.

Measurement:

Width: 27.5"
                              Rise: 4.75"
                              Pullback: 4.5"
                              center: 6.5"
                              That is the only size I ever see. Can someone confirm that for me? If so, I might pull a trigger on this set.

Comment

Working...
                              X