Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Cover Fab Question

Hello everyone,

Thanks once again for the continued support for me and everyone else building/maintaining older GS's.

I recently checked out Mr. Matchless' side cover fab tutorial on the BikeCliff site and had a question for Mr. Matchless or anyone else that might be so inclined to offer some creative help:

I ordered a couple of side covers (NOS) off of Ebay and figured while they were still pristine, I'd make a mold of them so if ever I wanted to make new ones I'd have far less work (because your mold is only ever as good as the part you use to make the casting). I have quite a bit of fibreglass/carbon fibre experience so that's not the trouble. What I'm wondering about, and the only real detail missing from Mr. Matchless' tutorial, was how to fab up the pin that locks the side cover into the rubber grommet on the bike. The only way (and it would be rather costly) would be to make them on a mill or lathe or something. I was hoping someone might have had an inventive solution for building them or scavenging them from something else.

From my experience, the most secure way to affix them to the back side of the side cover would be to put a large flange on the one end and then a few layers of glass over top to sandwich it on there. With that in mind, replicating the pin is only half the job and for it to work it must be a solution that can be mounted to the back of the cover.

Thanks for any/all creative advice
Working...
X