How to keep side covers on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep side covers on

I finally came up with a set of side covers (all though they're a little different being 81 and I need 82) and I want to make sure they stay on. Have you guys came up with anything to help. My friend says the Honda guys drill a hole in the mounting tab, and then put a clip through it. I don't think I could get to it to pin it. But I'm going to go look now.

So what have you guys done. Pics would be great. Thanks.

I got new rubber grommets and tabs that hold on the side covers about two years ago and they are still attached. Amazing what new squisy rubber will do.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ditto fresh rubber grommets. Apart from that some people drill a hole in the panel and fasten with a zip tie. Difficult to make it look smart though.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+1 for new rubber

The Kawasaki guys have a couple of solutions. Cross drill and pin the tabs, or cross drill the tabs and then loosely wire the two side covers together through the frame. That way you can get them off easily to reach fuses and stuff, but they won't hit the ground if they do pop off.

Comment

I managed to put zip ties thru upper openings and around the frame no drilling required but to get to stuff you have to cut zips off and use new ones everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            I got new rubber grommets and tabs that hold on the side covers about two years ago and they are still attached. Amazing what new squisy rubber will do.
            Where would someone get them?

Comment

www.partshark.com, buy new OEM ones.

Comment

I lost one side cover the first time I ever took it out, and the other one a week later. I went to Lowe's and got some sheet metal and made some new covers. Just need to get a buddy to weld the corners up for me, and I'm going to have some nuts welded to a couple spots and just run an allen head bolt through the cover.

Comment

Well I ordered the grommets from partshark. They do have great prices, but geez,,I didn't realize they order the stuff from Suzuki, and it takes 3-5 day for them to get it. Then add how ever long it's going to be to get it to me.

I guess if your not in a hurry that's great. But on a small part like a grommet, I'd rather pay a little more and get it a lot faster from Alpha.

Comment

'80-82 750's (1100's too maybe?) are famous for loosing their right side cover. I lost mine twice, same side, now I zip tie the right side one on. It is under the seat so you cant see it.
                    Some yo-yo tried to steal the right side cover and busted it up trying to get it off. A couple tubes of JB weld and its as good as new.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Does the 650 have more than one post/grommet per side? On my 550 the cover has two slots on the top edge that fit over tabs on the bike, and only one post/grommet at the bottom. The slots were very wide and allowed the cover to rattle. Twice I almost lost the left side cover going over highway bumps. Last week I rolled a few layers of electrical tape over one edge of the slots, and it fits tight now.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                        Does the 650 have more than one post/grommet per side? On my 550 the cover has two slots on the top edge that fit over tabs on the bike, and only one post/grommet at the bottom. The slots were very wide and allowed the cover to rattle. Twice I almost lost the left side cover going over highway bumps. Last week I rolled a few layers of electrical tape over one edge of the slots, and it fits tight now.

The 650 has 3 post's/grommet's. No slot's.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                          On my 550 the cover has two slots on the top edge that fit over tabs on the bike, and only one post/grommet at the bottom. The slots were very wide and allowed the cover to rattle.

iirc there are rubber peices that go over the tabs to take up the slop and prevent rattles.
                          Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                          1979 GS850GN
                          sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                          1975-2008

Comment

Thanks, Four Shot. I guess mine are long gone.

Comment

I used hardware store grommets on my 550 sidecover posts. About 50 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X