Different ways of stripping color from cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different ways of stripping color from cylinders

I tried searching for this as it probably is allready mentioned, but the search function gave me an error, I tried finding a thread about it by scrolling through the tabs here in Appearance but couldn't find anything, so here it goes...

I realize that the easiest way to get the paint of the cylinders is to sand blast or something like this to get down in the ridges good, but if you don't have access to a blaster, are there other ways to get that paint of in a way that doesn't hurt the cylinders?

Sand blasting isn't really good for the engine as it may get inside of it. How about vapor blasting? I'm not sure if vapor will remove the paint but it leaves a very nice factory finish.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

If engine apart try acid dip. Comes out perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
        Sand blasting isn't really good for the engine as it may get inside of it. How about vapor blasting? I'm not sure if vapor will remove the paint but it leaves a very nice factory finish.
        Ah yes my bad. I don't have access to any type of blasting though I could leave it to a shop but was just curious about other alternatives for my own garage.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          If engine apart try acid dip. Comes out perfect.
          And it doesn't hurt the inside of the cylinders in any way? Are there any parts on the cylinder that is critical to remove before putting it in acid dip?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
            fyi, vapour blasting is NOT only water... it also contacts a blast media , so again, there will grit to clean out...

dipping leaves nothing behind and is completely clean. and yes, it's fine for the block

Comment

Nice with the dip, I'll definetly use that then! Now it's just a matter of finding that in Sweden, they are not that keen on heavy chemicals here in the cold country Is there any big manufacturers of this acid dip that we might have here that I could get the name of from any of you fine gentlemen?

Comment

Oh man, after searching the web for some swedish retailer of any sort of dip I can't seem to find any. Any of you guys know what type of chemicals there are in those dips?

I did find some folks talking about the chemical Phosphoric Acid but some other people talked about this leaving white goo if parts were diped in this too long, especially aluminium parts. Citric Acid was also mentioned... EDIT 2: It should also be mentioned that the acids mostly comes up in discussion about removing rust rather than removing paint, but there is stil discussions wether the acids remove the paint as well or not.

EDIT 1: some other guy also mentioned blending caustic soda with wallpaper paste to get a gel-like mixture that removes paint and also other stuff... Anybody have any experiences with caustic soda and engines?
                Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

caustic soda mixes well with engines ............as long as they aren't made of aluminium. Mix the two and your engine will dissolve.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ah ok, thank you hampshire! So far I havn't been seeing any of the stuff you guys are using in the swedish stores so I need to make some sort of translated list so that I know what kind of chemicals to put in my own garage in the future. This helps!

Comment

Just get a long bristled stiff nylon brush and a few cans of spray on TAL STRIP aircraft paint stripper. Spray it on and let it sit for around 15 minutes or so and then scrub in all the fins and such with the brush. Powerwash it and reapply on any areas left with paint. Wear a face shield or other eye protection so the stripper doesnt get in your eyes. Tightly stuff rags into the intake and exhaust ports and youll be just fine ..Use a good degreaser such as purple power and scrub as much grease and oil off before you apply the stripper. The stipper wil not eat thru the grime.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Heres the link to my recent rebuild..The stripper and brush method is what i used and i had it done in just a few hrs and ready for repainting. Also see Chandlers GS 1000 E thread. Youll have a nice looking engine when yoiur done.

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Waht paint are you guys using to paint the engine?

I got some high temperature paint from Advance auto parts that is supposed to be used for grills and the paint bubbled and became all crumpled... I am so mad with it.
                          What do you guys know works and wont look bad with the heat?

Comment

I used smoothrite in an aerosol. My experience is that ordinary paint is well up to coping with the engine tempretures
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

VHT high temp engine enamel....UNIVERSAL ALUMINUM...never has failed yet on anything i have painted.

Comment

Working...
                              X