Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back from first 800+ mile round trip... Time for a FAIRING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from first 800+ mile round trip... Time for a FAIRING!

I'm back from my loop of Washington State, with a jaunt into Idaho (Cour d'Alene... hwy 97 around the East of the lake... a MUST RIDE!!)...

The GS did GREAT... cruised no problem at 70-80mph... Ran like a top. Got CRAPPY mileage, however... about 35mph... I'm 6'3" and stick up in the wind a bit.

I figured I'd want one at some point, now I'm sure. I need a FAIRING of some kind.

I have a full Vetter fairing that came on the bike, but it looks terrible on there, and is more than I think I want. I'd like to keep the bike looking like a GS, and not like whatever Prince was riding in the movie "Purple Rain"...

I have always thought of using the Wes Cooley fairing setup, maybe adding the lower fairing piece that goes at the front of the bottom of the frame behind the wheel as well.

I've looked around a bit, but haven't really been able to find a package for something like this. Was hoping you guys would give me some ideas of what might look good, function well, and some links to where to get the setup?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

A fairing isn't gonna help your mileage brother. 70-80mph is gonna get 35 or mpg. That's an 850 yeah? Gotta be spinnin near 5 or so thousand to cruise at that speed. It'll suck some gas. Try cruising at 65-70 and you'll see a dramatic improvement in MPG. On my 1100G, 1100E and 1000G 42-45 mpg at a steady cruise of 70mph was possible depending on headwind and all that. I'm tall too. And not skinny. Fairing adds weight and drag, both of which will eat gas.
    On my ZRX if I cruise at highway speedlimits, I can get good mileage. If I'm playing, it will drop drastically (last trip on the highways I saw near 50mpg, but once on the twisties it went down to around 37-40mpg) acceleration (ie, blasting off from lights, or slingshotting out of a corner) will eat the most gas..

Comment

I'm not worried that much about the MPG... I spent a lot of time on I-90 and I-365, both of which are posted 70mph and you have to do 70-75 just to keep with the flow of traffic. No big deal.

What I'm looking for is something that looks right on the bike to reduce the wind hitting me in the chest/helmet. If I ducked down and layed on the tank bag, the bike would jump almost 5mph.

I have always thought that a Wes Cooley fairing is what I'd like to add. Looks good on the bike, and isn't too large/heavy. Just not sure where to get all the bits and pieces.

Unless someone has another option...

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
        I'm not worried that much about the MPG... I spent a lot of time on I-90 and I-365, both of which are posted 70mph and you have to do 70-75 just to keep with the flow of traffic. No big deal.

What I'm looking for is something that looks right on the bike to reduce the wind hitting me in the chest/helmet. If I ducked down and layed on the tank bag, the bike would jump almost 5mph.

I have always thought that a Wes Cooley fairing is what I'd like to add. Looks good on the bike, and isn't too large/heavy. Just not sure where to get all the bits and pieces.

Unless someone has another option...
        Cooley fairing is the way to go on a G, IMHO....

You can get the upper mounts from Suzuki (look at the '80 GS1000S parts list). I had to fab up my own lower mounts because the G lower mount area is different than the S lower mount area.

The fairing can be gotten from the Glassndude on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/g...id=p4340.l2559 or from Airtech: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0001979-80.htm

The windshield can be purchsed from Gustafsson:

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...S%6078%2D%6080
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          You can get the upper mounts from Suzuki (look at the '80 GS1000S parts list). I had to fab up my own lower mounts because the G lower mount area is different than the S lower mount area.

The fairing can be gotten from the Glassndude on ebay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/g...id=p4340.l2559 or from Airtech: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0001979-80.htm

The windshield can be purchsed from Gustafsson:

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...S%6078%2D%6080

THAT, is exactly what I'm looking for. THANKS!

If you don't mind me asking... where did you get the backrest and the rear rack for your bike?? I may be looking for those as well, or at least the rear rack.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
            THAT, is exactly what I'm looking for. THANKS!

If you don't mind me asking... where did you get the backrest and the rear rack for your bike?? I may be looking for those as well, or at least the rear rack.

Thanks again!
            Nobody currently makes anything like that for our bikes. Ebay is the place to go for racks and backrests.

Or here, in the parts for sale section.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Rear Rack

I've debated ordering one of these for my '81 E for mounting a top-box but never have.

Surely someone here has bought one of these and could let us all know about the fit and finish.

I have had successful dealings with Superior before.
              sigpic
              1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
              2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

I have this in a box ready to go; shipped $125

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Be glad its an 850...you should see how fast my guage drops on the 1000s at 80 or 85!! Like a lead bollon falling from the sky!!!
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X