Need suggestions on colors/Themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need suggestions on colors/Themes

I'm trying to make up my mind on colors for the 81 1100.
    I like the Jap theme but just not sure...

I like the last blue one...

What software is that? I'm really crap at using the GIMP to do my colour ideas in, so if there was some way to get a pic of my bike into something like that then that would be awesome...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'm not sold on the rising sun motif for the tank. Somehow it doesn't flow with the tank lines.

However did you seriously digitally model the entire bike?!?

I'm an architecture student and have spent the last 4 years digitally modeling my life away and to model this to the level of detail you have in your renders would be a huge undertaking. Everything is spot on, down to the nooks and crannies on the carbs.

You sir either know some tricks that I don't or have access to an incredibly good 3D scanner.

Please share!

Ohh yeah I like the silver bike best

Comment

I like the solid colors AND I like the rising sun thing....
        Maybe if I could start the rising sun from the front of the tank and sweep back, I don't know I'll need to keep pecking away at it.

As for the software, I use a number of different packages.
        Unigraphics, SDRC Ideas, AutoCad, Rhino, and Matrix.
        I've been in the tool and die, product/tool design thing since 82 so I've used alot of different tools. Everything from sketches on a lunch bag to the lastest softwares.
        The model you see is something I put together just to visualize the colors and themes on the bike.
        I used my camera, parts fiche pictures, a six inch scale, and a tape measure to replicate the bike. So theres no real .001 accuracy. It is size/proportion correct, but don't try to use the geometry of every part to build a bike
        It was tedious but fun, and now I can physically see what it will look like.
        If you're looking for a good 3D modeling software check out Rhino.
        It's not over complicated like Unigraphics or Ideas .
        The Rhino/Flamingo package is hard to beat.
        It's relatively inexpensive. I used it almost exclusively on this model.

Anyway thanks for the input, maybe someday I'll actually get the beast painted.

Comment

DAMNIT! Now I need to buy this program and a new laptop.
          IMHO, I'd go with the blue or silver. You could possibly do the rising sun paint scheme on the side covers. Someone else on here did that and it looks good. Give that a shot and see how it looks.

Comment

This way is better IMHO:

Track bike that's rough but think it works better.

Comment

Yeah Rhino is the tool that I use most often when working on my Architecture design projects. I'd like to think I'm fairly proficient at it so I can appreciate the time you put into it. 3D modeling is a lot of fun. You can instantly see your ideas and sketches take 'real' form and come alive.

I can't wait for the semester to start up again so I have access to the programs again. Always wanted to model a bike... I have been thinking of frame mods and monoshock's all summer

I think the rising sun needs to be on the side covers and tail too. Kinda like SVSooke's picture there

Comment

hi i agree with tim tom the rising sun is cool but does not flow with the tank lines. one of the things i really like about the styling of the bike. i think you are on the right track if you start it in front of the tank emblem and sweep it back.i may even give the flag a waveing look as it goes over the tank line in the center. if you stay a solid color i like the silver. good luck

Comment

wow that model is impressive, i like the rising sun idea but like others said it doesnt really flow in that location maube try moving it forward like in the other pic and have rays go onto side covers.

ps. like TimTom im in architecture as well, having modeled mainly buildings and stuff i applaud your skills, i mainly use Autocad, and autocad 3d for work but do know a little bit about Maya, Archicad etc. i know this might be a bit rude but if you could share that model i'd really appreciate it. Im trying to pick a color scheme for my bike which is the same except the headlight and id be great to be able to render it before i start. if not i totally understand as it is your work of art.

Comment

You might take a look at racing vehicles...bikes, cars, airplanes and boats for paint ideas!

Comment

I think the rising sun motif would look better if the "sun" originated at the rear of the tank, perhaps right where the seat meets the tank. That way, the "rays" would get wider as the tank gets wider.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                        I think the rising sun motif would look better if the "sun" originated at the rear of the tank, perhaps right where the seat meets the tank. That way, the "rays" would get wider as the tank gets wider.
                        Sort of like this idea but with the Sun starting at the junction of the rear of the tank, the seat and the side covers then going towards the top center and front of the tank,
                        meeting along the centerline at the top of the tank, from both sides. A Sun, on both sides.

Daniel

Comment

You know, now that I look at the rising sun it kind of looks like that creature on "Alien" when it grabbed the guy by the face....
                          Great, now I'm stuck with that mental image.
                          Svsooke's image is what I was also thinking of, that looks good, I'll have to try that. And something on the side covers. Right now I have the Jap Chrysanthemum on the covers.
                          I'm also going to try 7981GS idea of back to front, all good ideas.
                          OK, now you guys are getting out of that tunnel vision thing I was in.

Hey TimTom I know what you mean, even after all these years I enjoy just doodleing like this and doing something for myself.
                          It can be an all consuming, can't sleep at night cause I'm full of ideas kind of thing.

Comment

Now that modeling is really cool. Wish I could do that...

Anyways, I'm not sold on the whole rising sun idea. Maybe in a darker color.... Black gas tank and grey rising sun? Make it have that ghost look. Like you can see the rising sun in different lighting but in other lighting you can't? Just an idea.

I think that bike will look good with a simple stripe down the middle with silver bodywork.

I don't know... .

Comment

I like the green but maybe a shade or two darker. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                              X