No announcement yet.

Paint work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO SANDING! (except initial primer/prep)
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
    1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Any particular reason you say not to sand? clears are usually sanded before buffing.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        Any particular reason you say not to sand? clears are usually sanded before buffing.
        Professionally speaking you want to use a circular sander, light in the 400 grit range just to get off any top imperfections, because you will def. notice it when the clear coat goes on if there is any!

Comment

Originally posted by Montanaman View Post
          You guys convinces me - I took off the rear cowling, took it over to NCS, they matched it and put it in a spray can, and I'm getting their primer and clear coat too - these are the guys who supply the body shops, so I kmow if it fails it's me to blame, not the product
          Would have been easier if you just rode the bike to the place . Hehe...

Please take before and after pictures. Maybe some during the process.

If I remember correctly, you're side covers are straight up black. NOS am I correct?

Good luck! Prep, prep, prep!

Comment

Yes - I have NOS black sidecovers - two sets, and I plan to paint them both - between the two sets, I'll have one set with all intact tabs, and one set that is missing a tab on each one.

I'll start taking pictures - Thus far all I did last night was wet sand them with 600x wet-or-dry, which took off the clear coat fairly effectively.

Comment

This is a Urethane color base followed by clear topcoat.Manufacturer directions are no sanding between coats.
              Just painted my car mirrors..will post pics after I download.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Painted Monday..Pics 24 hrs later
                No sanding between sprays.No buffing,sanding after finish.
                May buff later. Colorite paint system,on the web.

1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

That colour looks like a good match ! Nice work. I think I have to make a "paint decision"in the future, so I am watching this thread closely

Comment

~ Update ~

The digital camera was dead, but I'll tell you about phase 1 -

First, I wet-sanded all four sidecovers with 600x wet-or-dry, until all the clear coat was nice and dull.

I then washed them thoroughly, and let them dry all afternoon.

I put them out on rosin paper, and gave them all a light coat of primer, then an hour later gave them a good, careful coat.

So now I've got nice gray sidecovers.

Observation: The automotive primer is different than all the Rustoleum/Krylon/Do-it-Best brands - it has a much more wicked smell, and it is thicker. It actually filled in a couple of miniscule scratches.

I'll let them cure 24 hours, and hit them with the red tomorrow night.

I'll charge up the camera, and shoot pics tomorrow -

Comment

Nice!

Will you be selling your spare side covers?

Comment

I'll sell them or trade them, or keep them for spares.

I don't know if I'd be doing anybody a favor by selling them, because there's no guarantee that the color match off of my rear tail section would match somebody else's '83 GS1100ED, is there ?

Do you need them ?

If so I won't decal them - I was going to do one set up in white letters, which is the factory colors, and I was going to do the other set in original style black lettering, which I'm thinking will look nice, since there's nothing white on the bike, but lots of black -

Pics will be coming -

Comment

I don't care if the color doesn't match or not. I just need the left side cover because mine is broken (velcro is holding it up).

Can't wait to see you finish this up though .

Comment

~update~

The sidecovers looked really nice - right up until I held them up against the gas tank, which it turns out has been repainted.

So at some point, whoever owned this bike had the front fender, and gas tank repainted, put on black sidecovers, probably because they didn't match after the repaint job,and left the rear cowling the original color.

So what to do ?

Simple - I'll repaint the tank, rear cowling, and front fender also - why not ?

Comment

Working...
                            X