Wanting to change my 79'gs1000 circle light to a square HID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to change my 79'gs1000 circle light to a square HID

I've searched the threads and located http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=hid for the h4 HID kit. But I want to change my circle round light to a square light, (or more rectangle like the tail light). I think this would look better, and I WANT

Also for the lights I'm going with a blacked out look, so wanting HID's for my taillight as well, any suggestions? Thanks.

I got my HID from these guys.

Couldn't have been more pleased with it. As far as switching from a round to square bucket you'll have to find a square one. As long as the bulb size is the same it shouldn't make too much difference. Although I don't know what the reflectors are like in the square units.

I suppose you could also get an HID tail-light but I would be concerned with wiring it to the brake too. I don't have much experience in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
      Also for the lights I'm going with a blacked out look, so wanting HID's for my taillight as well, any suggestions? Thanks.
      Never heard of HID tail lights! You could increase the bulb wattage a bit, to be seen with a blacked out lens though, or use one of the superbright L.E.D replacement bulbs. Seems like the guys running the blacked out lights on their cars are more concerned with displaying bad ass cosmetics than safety...... but on a bike, that visibility is crucial.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

How do our GS's respond to the use of HID systems?

Comment

Just fine. I've had mine in for about a year now and haven't noticed any issues. And I can see at night

Comment

Ask some of the riders at ACH ride... BLACKED out turn signals are illegal for street use !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Ask some of the riders at ACH ride... BLACKED out turn signals are illegal for street use !!!!!!!!
              Not in Texas where I live, you don't even have to have them at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                I got my HID from these guys.

Couldn't have been more pleased with it. As far as switching from a round to square bucket you'll have to find a square one. As long as the bulb size is the same it shouldn't make too much difference. Although I don't know what the reflectors are like in the square units.

I suppose you could also get an HID tail-light but I would be concerned with wiring it to the brake too. I don't have much experience in that area.
                tim which bulb did you order from them? i have an 82 with the round bulb.

Comment

I got the single hi / lo kit. I sprung for the 55w version in I think was a 6000K bulb color. It is BRIGHT blue / white and I love it. I'm sure the 35w version would provide just as much light though.

Hers is the link to the exact kit.

Comment

Where did y'all mount your ballast when you switched to the HID setup?

Comment

1) HIDs do NOT get used for tail lights. HID stands for High Intensity Discharge. I think you meant LED, which stands for Light Emitting Diode. if you managed to even find an HID that would fit in the signals, you'd melt them off in under an hour.

2) make sure that whatever reflector/housing/lens you use is designed for use with HID bulbs. If it's not, the geometry of the beam pattern will be off, and you will have hot spots, produce massive gare for oncoming riders, and really not much better visibility.
                      And before you say, "bah, more glare makes me more noticeable, it's safer actually!" think again. It might have that effect during daylight hours, but when it's dark, a poorly aimed, poorly executed HID install will cause such bright glare to the oncoming car that they will close their eyes, or look away. Unless you really want to find out just how a head-on collision with a car feels?

3) Just because it uses 35W instead of a normal 55W of an incandescent does NOT mean that it puts out less heat, either. If you've got plastic housings/reflectors, be ready for them to melt and/or deform. which will also affect your beam pattern.

I'm not saying not to use HID's; I'm saying do it RIGHT.

--sarge

Comment

6000k is a very bad blue color in the light spectrum to see with at night. Is it just that your old reflector was bad and the extra intensity makes it better, and cool to look at, or is it really that much better to see with? The HID's on my RX8 are very white and absolutely better to see with. I would like to reduce power on the head light with a good set of HID's. I'm just asking to get your honest opinion before trying them. They seem to be reasonable in price, but good light quality usually comes at a high price.
                        Last edited by OldVet66; 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM.
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
                          Where did y'all mount your ballast when you switched to the HID setup?
                          I mounted it to the frame hidden under the tank with some big zip black zip-ties. A year later and it hasn't given me a problem yet.

As far as 6000K being a 'bad' color I can't really comment on. Having never tried a 8000K bulb I also cant comment which one would be 'best' to see with.

What I can say though is I really like the blue tint, and I can see at night. Which is more than I could say about the stock bulb.

Also nothing in my headlight has melted or become deformed due to the heat of the bulb. Even when riding in hot days, the headlight does not feel any hotter than the rest of the bike.

Comment

I was wrong on the 8000K, I think the pure white is more in the 4300k spectrum.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

For my 450S, the light was way too dim so I just went to denniskirk and found a $30 halogen that is definitely bright enough, even with only a 7 incher. May not be what you're looking for but they have them for many sizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X