homemade flyscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homemade flyscreen

Good evening. I want to share a little project I've been working on today. I was actually painting my exhaust black as I suddenly felt inspired to make a fly screen/fairing. The finished product will be painted black to match the exhaust.
    I have been wanting something similar to this Buell Cyclone fly screen.

Looking around for materials with the curve I want, I found this plastic flower pot. 30cm diameter.

Shaping it with a dremel and this is what i've got sofar. Still missing the other side and to sand the edges and black paint. (please disregard the oil seeping from the head. That one I'm saving till winter )

Cool! I think it looks pretty good so far. Maybe round the top off a little bit so it doesn't resemble Bart Simpson's profile so much. I think it looks good though.

Comment

I like people who think outside the box and can see a economical way to do something. terrylee

Comment

a flower pot?
        (Read as R. Lee Ermy " a jelly doughnut?")

Looks good. Way to use your noggin

Comment

I like it! Saw a similar thing done with a bucket once and it was also successful.

I've considered doing the same as I want a fly screen on my scrambler to hide the gauges, very keen to see how this turns out!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Don't try this when you need a new helmet.

1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Nice work!

Nice, the only difference between yours and the Buell it the way their edge is wavy, and your's is straight.
              I was thinking of a fly screen myself. Mine would attach like yours, but I wanted something I could crouch behind when I got the bike up over 80 mph. My idea was to use aluminum sheet, but I worried that it may be a sharp edge in a crash. Yours would be much safer.
              Bill
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Looks Great!! Will be good to see it finished.

Comment

any news on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                    any news on this?
                    I shaped it a bit more and painted it black. Then rode with it a week or so before I decided it was ugly and it ended on the shelf.

Comment

any pics of it? maybe we can come up with afew ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Walle View Post
                        I shaped it a bit more and painted it black. Then rode with it a week or so before I decided it was ugly and it ended on the shelf.
                        That's a shame. I kind of like the Cossack Hat look of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X